Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help setting up a special VLAN setup using WRVS4400N

HC-Ralph-
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I need you help on how to set up a somehow non-standard VLAN setup.

The situation is as follows:

The customer wants a WLAN set up for the company and one for the guests. Now this wouldn't be that hard if we'd be using the internal internet connection. But the WRVS4400N will be used to set up the WLANs/VLANs only.

The company uses DHCP on both of their subnets, provided by a Watchguard Firebox XTM510.

config.png

Now, what we'd like to do is set up the rear port #1 for the connection to the customer's subnet and #2 for the connection to the optional subnet for guests. The first problem is that we weren't able to set up DHCP forward for the VLAN2. It works fine on the 1st one but the 2nd only allows ENabled or DISabled, DHCP grayed out.

As a workaround it would be ok to set up the WRVS4400N providing DHCP all by itself for the guests subnet, but trying that didn't work at all.

Is there any way? Thanks in advance!

Best,

Ralph.

1 Reply 1

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

HC-Ralph,

I took out one of or wrvs4400n v2 to see if the dhcp relay is grayed out for the vlan connection and I saw the same exact thing.  The dhcp relay option for the other vlan is grayed out.

Based on that, it looks like the router will not support dhcp relay for the other vlans created.  After looking at your daigram, the setup you have will not work cause if the router does dhcp for that vlan, the gateway will be the wrvs4400n and not the watchguard.  However, if you had a machine you could plug into the router in a port only designated for the vlan for the quest vlan and have it running as a dhcp server, then it will take the dhcp request and you can set the watchguard as the gateway.  Make sure you turn dhcp in the router so it don't conflict.

I know its a work around, but it looks like the router is limiting us from the relay option on that vlan.

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: