need a vpn router to connect to cable modem

need a poe switch

need wifi access points to be powered up on the poe switch

any idea?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at RV models, some model have all  you looking in one box.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/small-business-rv-series-routers/models-comparison.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

If you want a router which runs IOS, you may want to consider the C881W . It can run both IPsec and webvpn, has two PoE ports (make sure you fit the power daughter card and use a 48W power supply) and also has a built-in access point:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/887-integrated-services-router-isr/data_sheet_c78_459542.html

cheers,

Seb.

I run a Cisco RV340 router,  SG300-28 layer 3 switch(soon to be a SG350 switch) 3 WAP371 wireless APs, SG200-8 switch at my entertainment center and a SG300-10MPP to power the WAP371 units in my home.  This all works well.  I have excellent wireless coverage.  I only use 5GHz as I have turned off 2.4GHz.

@leecoxhouse1- it looks like your configuration is very similar to what i ama planning.  Do you mind me asking how you connected everything (i.e. everything off your SG300 or are you using the router ports)?  Also, May I ask why you went to layer 3 switch vs a layer 2?  I am currently planning an SG250 as I am not certain I need the layer 3 but very interested to know if (and how) this would be better (certainly more expensive!) or should I be good with the SG250 series.

thanks - Jason

My Cisco RV340 router is connected to my Cisco SG300-28 layer 3 switch using a VLAN with only 2 ports using a 30 bit mask. One port on the RV340 router and 1 access port on layer 3 switch in a 1 port VLAN, I call the router VLAN. The RV340 handles all internet activity which includes firewall, DNS, static routes.  The RV340 router is the gateway for the internet but my layer 3 switch is the gateway for all local traffic.  This puts most of the heavy lifting on the layer 3 switch for the local LAN.  All the wireless and everything else runs off the layer 3 switch.  

If you only run 1 network then the layer 3 switch may not be needed.  But once you add guest network, IoT devices multiple networks make more sense so as our home networks become more complex with more devices I think single networks are going to fade away.