cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie - Urgent Help Setting-up Quick Virtual Private Network (QVPN) Utility (RV220W).

mr.chavez.j
Level 1
Level 1

New to all this, don't even know is I am directing my question in the right forum category.

Something has come up unexpectedly and I need help to quickly setup a secure Quick Virtual Private Network (QVPN) Utility (RV220W) so I can access my work PC, and ideally network from remote location as soon as possible.

I downloaded  "Quick Virtual Private Network (QVPN) Utility" version 1.4.2.1 software, and installed on local host PC to test, and I received the following error messages:

Quick Virtual Private Network (QVPN) Utility - Connection Error dialog box.

Local Host PC: Host PC: Windows 8.1 Pro (64-Bit)

Firewall: ISP Norton Security Suite

Windows Firewall: Disabled

Same error message when running from Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (64-Bit)

Note: I tried disabling Norton Security Suite and enabling Windows Firewall, and had the same errors.

31 Replies 31

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I'sorry you are having issues with your device.

This is definitely the right place for this question.

In regards to your issue, there are several reasons why you will get this error message, I will try to tell you what needs to be configured and what are the requirements for this to work.

On the router

1- Go to whatismyip.org and write down the IP address you will get

2- Go to Status, Dashboard, and check your WAN internet information IPv4 Ip address. If it is different than the address you got on step 1 then your router is not on bridge mode and the connection won't work. What you will have to do in this case is to contact the ISP and ask them to put the modem on bridge mode so that the 2 ip addresses math.

3- On the same status page check the LAN (Local Network) Interface IPv4 address. It is important because you won't be able to connect if the remote PC is on the same type of subnet, for instance: 192.168.1.X.

4- Go to Administration, Remote Management and make sure it is enabled and the port number is either 443 or 60443.

5- Go to VPN, IPSec, VPN users and on the VPN Settings Client Table make sure there is an account configured for QuickVPN. As a recommendation, make sure the user names and password are at least 8 Characters long and Alpha Numeric.

If you have verified all of this and everything is correct so far then the issue may be on the PC itself.

On the PC:

QuickVPN is not officially supported on Windows 8 and above so it is very likely it won't work, but it should work on Vista.

1- If you go to the installation directory of the QuickVPN software, you will see a file called Log.txt, open it up and go to the end of it. It will have some information about the connection and why it failed.

If possible, post the file here or at least the last 10 or 20 lines so that we can have a better idea why it is failing.

Please make sure it is the file that you collected on windows Vista and no Windows 8 as it will probably not work from windows 8 either way.

Please let us now.

Thanks for the reply.

Question: Tried step 1 and 2, router not on bridge mode. If I contact ISP, which I address do I ask them to match, the one in step 1 or step 2?

Question: In step 3, you state remote PC (Vista laptop in my case) would not be able to remote into local PC (desktop Win 8) if they are on the same subnet. I have my RV220W setup with 4 different VLAN, one for each port (e.g.: 192.168.101.X, 192.168.102.X, 192.168.103.X, and 192.168.104.X). For testing purposes, would I be able to remote in as long as they are both not on the same subnet (e.g. from 102 to 101)?

Question: In step 4, is there a difference between either 443 or 60443 that I should select?

Question: In step 5, should I enable "Remote SNMP"?

Question: Both remote and local device use ISP Norton Security Suite, could that be an issue as well?

Thank you!

Hello, and thank you for the reply. I will try to answer your questions one by one:

1- Question: Tried step 1 and 2, router not on bridge mode. If I contact ISP, which I address do I ask them to match, the one in step 1 or step 2. The ISP doesn;t have to match anything, they will do a change on the modem and the right IP address will come through to the router, but what you want to see on the router is the IP address that you found when going to whatismyip.org. Then you will know it is working right.

2. Question: In step 3, you state remote PC (Vista laptop in my case) would not be able to remote into local PC (desktop Win 8) if they are on the same subnet. I have my RV220W setup with 4 different VLAN, one for each port (e.g.: 192.168.101.X, 192.168.102.X, 192.168.103.X, and 192.168.104.X). For testing purposes, would I be able to remote in as long as they are both not on the same subnet (e.g. from 102 to 101)? QuickVPN software will only allow you to connect to the main VLAN on the router (Vlan 1) so, you will need to make usre that the remote network and VLAN 1 on the router are on different subnets.

3- Question: In step 4, is there a difference between either 443 or 60443 that I should select? No, no difference, we only give you two options because several people use port 443 for something else, so if that is your case then you can use 60443, but they do exactly the same.

4- Question: In step 5, should I enable "Remote SNMP"? No need to.

5- Question: Both remote and local device use ISP Norton Security Suite, could that be an issue as well? On my experience this could definitely be an issue. If at all possible I would recommend to disable it completely on the remote PC just to make sure that it is not a problem.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions

I was able to successfully bridge ISP modem/router.

Local/Host PC Windows 8.1 Pro, subnet: xxx.xxx.101.xxx, ISP Norton Security Suite (firewall enabled, Windows firewall disabled).

Remote laptop Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, subnet: xxx.xxx.104.xxx, ISP Norton Security Suite (firewall disabled, Windows firewall enabled).

Upon connecting produced the following error on remote laptop when using my IP on whatismyip.org:

Question: What are the VPN User password field maximum character length and does it only accept alpha numeric characters? Maybe that is an issue.

Hello, I'm sorry that you are still having issues with the connection. 

First of all, you really want to make sure the modem was bridged so go into the router and under the dashboard make sure that your WAN IP and the IP you find in whatsmyip.org match. 

After doing this and if they in fact do match then go to the installation directory of the QuickVPN software and open the log.txt file, post here the last 10 or 20 lines, that will give us a better idea about what is happening. 

Yes they both matched.

I attached log.txt file, but for security concerns, I made two changes only.

1. XXX.XXX.104.XXX : Confirmed the use of this reference value were all the identical.

2. XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX : Confirmed the use of this reference value were all the identical, and matched on whatsmyip.org and RV220W Dashboard WAN (Internet) Information (IPv4) IP Address.

Oh, please dont forget to get back to me on password question, maybe I did not use that field correctly and need to confirm password used conforms with field assigned validation properties.

Thanks, Jerry

Hello, 

Thank you for the information, it is very helpful.

the logs indicate that you are not able to get to the router with the current ip you have.

There are a few reasons for this to happen:

1- The IP address you are using is not the public one. Make sure the address you are using its not on the following ranges: 10.X.X.X, 172.16.X.X, or 192.168.X.X.

2- The port needed is not opened on the router. Make sure you enabled remote management using ports 443 or 60443.

3- If everything is correct so far, then your ISP could be blocking the ports, contact them and make sure that port 443, 60443, 500 and 4500 are opened from their side.

When this issue is resolved you will see on the logs something like this:

The remote server was reached via HTTPS. 

i hope this helps

The IP address I am using is identical on the following:

• whatismyip.org
  • CISCO Admin Status Dashboard: WAN (Internet) Information (IPv4) IP Address field, and
  • Remote laptop QuickVPN Client Server Address field

Attached screenshot of RV220W Remote Management.

Update:

ISP confirmed none of the ports you mentioned are on their list of blocked ports.

Still not able to connect.

Thank you, 

I will send you an email to your private address with more information later.

Thanks!

Hey cchamorr, I am concerned I might have missed your email due to spam filter, etc.. Did you send me anything?

Thanks!

No reply yet?

Did he reply to you?? I know i just posted my question so im not expecting one that quick lol 

Six (6) days ago today he posted "I will send you an email to your private address with more information later.", I'm still waiting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: