cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP not recognzing accounts in Local Database - RV340

ewright
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a RV340 Router for VPN use. Trying to get PPTP VPN to work. Firmware is most current - 1.0.01.16

When trying to log in from a Windows PPTP client, I am told by Windows that username and password is not recognized by my PPTP VPN device/router.

On the RV340 log I get the following error messages:

pptp: rc_read_config: can't open /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: No such file or directory

pptp: RADIUS: Can't read config file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf

pptp: Peer [Name of User] failed CHAP authentication

pptp: Connection terminated.

I have not set up a Radius, LDAP or AD server. I want the PPTP to authenticate users from the RV340 local database. I have activated the PPTP selection in the User Groups and placed User Accounts in appropriate PPTP VPN activated Groups.

How do I get the router to authenticate PPTP VPN users from the RV340 local database and not search for a missing RADIUS or other remote databases?

Eric Wright

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ingrid Aragon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eric, I am one of the engineers from the Small Business team.

I am truly sorry for this inconvenience, that could be a known issue and I would like to further investigate it. Can you please provide the serial number of your device? In that way I can validate your warranty and if you are entitled to open a new case.

Why should I rate content?
You'll be ensuring that people who generously share their expertise are properly acknowledged. As posts are rated, the value of those ratings are accumulated as "points" and summarized on the Member Profile page and on each member's Preferences page.

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Ingrid Aragon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Eric, I am one of the engineers from the Small Business team.

I am truly sorry for this inconvenience, that could be a known issue and I would like to further investigate it. Can you please provide the serial number of your device? In that way I can validate your warranty and if you are entitled to open a new case.

Why should I rate content?
You'll be ensuring that people who generously share their expertise are properly acknowledged. As posts are rated, the value of those ratings are accumulated as "points" and summarized on the Member Profile page and on each member's Preferences page.

Hi there,

I am having the same issue, running an RV345. I have activated the PPTP selection in the User Groups and placed User Accounts in appropriate PPTP VPN activated Groups. The PPTP VPN is all setup and ready to accept connections. 

When I try to connect, the log shows:

pptp: rc_read_config: can't open /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: No such file or directory

pptp: RADIUS: Can't read config file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf

pptp: Peer [Name of User] failed CHAP authentication

pptp: Connection terminated.

Any thoughts?  Many thanks, Nick.

I am running the same firmware, 1.0.01.16. 

I've updated to 1.0.01.17 and see the same error messages.

i have exactly the same problem using RV345P with last firmware. Bug report : CSCvd97778: RV34x: CHAP not supported for local db authentication

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvd97778/?referring_site=bugquickviewredir

Me too!

Impossible to create a tunnel beetween windows and rv340!!! pptp, l2tp and client-to-site is not working with windows 10. 

Any idea or solution?

Are there any updates on this issue? I too am experiencing this problem and symptoms. I am unable to get pptp, l2tp, or ipsec to work with either android, windows, or macosx VPN clients. I can not piy this router into service and till a solution is found. Thanks.

Cisco - Can you shed any light on this? I would love to deploy this router, but if I can't VPN into it from Windows machines (7/10) or IOS devices...I'm dead in the water. 

Please help! I'd prefer not to have to return it :(

Thanks!

Why is this problem marked as solved?  I am having the same issue using the latest firmware.  When is the ETA of the fix?

I have same issues with RV340 firmware 1.0.01.17. Do you have any solution to use PPTP VPN.

Hello,

As this was marked as solved - what exactly is the solution? I have 2 of RV340 and after upgrading the FW to 1.00.01.17 I am still facing the error described.

I even tried to setup dummy radius server and (disable it afterwards) in a hope that the conf file will be created, but so far no luck. And I have to say that without so basic functionality (like local users are) - these boxes are just overpriced paper weights.

Thank you for your answer in advance

Michal

I run into the same problem with rv340. Could someone please share the solution?

in the RV340, is the pptp bug is fix!! since last of your report!

Hey ... Engineers i have a new RV345P with the same problem with firmware 1.0.03.16 .... what is the solution ???