cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP not recognzing accounts in Local Database - RV340

ewright
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a RV340 Router for VPN use. Trying to get PPTP VPN to work. Firmware is most current - 1.0.01.16

When trying to log in from a Windows PPTP client, I am told by Windows that username and password is not recognized by my PPTP VPN device/router.

On the RV340 log I get the following error messages:

pptp: rc_read_config: can't open /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: No such file or directory

pptp: RADIUS: Can't read config file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf

pptp: Peer [Name of User] failed CHAP authentication

pptp: Connection terminated.

I have not set up a Radius, LDAP or AD server. I want the PPTP to authenticate users from the RV340 local database. I have activated the PPTP selection in the User Groups and placed User Accounts in appropriate PPTP VPN activated Groups.

How do I get the router to authenticate PPTP VPN users from the RV340 local database and not search for a missing RADIUS or other remote databases?

Eric Wright

25 Replies 25

estoyanov
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue with RV345 and after following the instructions in this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-support-documents/pptp-vpn-configuration-on-rv340-345-routers/ta-p/3220097

I am able to connect with PPTP Connection from Windows 10 only with the default admin account (in my case cisco). Even if I add another local DB user to the admin group I am not able to connect with the same error in device log.

Looking forward for possible solution... 

In case someone else has this issue, with the help from Cisco Support I was able to find out that the problem was in the password of the user in the router local user db. if this password contains some of the special symbols !@#$... user is not able to login via PPTP connection, with this message "The remote connection was denied because the user name and password combination you provided is not recognized, or the selected authentication protocol is not permitted on the remote access server".  If the password is limited to letters, digits and punctuation symbols user in the router local User DB is able to connect via PPTP - this is the case with the current latest as of today firmware - v.1.0.01.17. This is not the case with the initial router admin - cisco - who is able to connect via PPTP even if password contains special chars.

There is new firmware release as of yesterday - 1.0.01.18 (PDF - 85 KB)  27/Mar/2018. Apparently there is no mention of resolving the PPTP VPN issues in the release notes... Why Cisco?

come on cisco, address the vpn issues everyone is having with a new firmware.  At least acknowledge them. with workarounds in your documentation. we actually read the documents and follow written instructions.  update your manuals please with workarounds for the client to site, pptp, l2tp with osx and ios. thanks - vb

This PPTP problem is just one of many issues with this Cisco RV340, RV345 junk!

A few weeks ago, my web filter suddenly stopped working after 5 months. The license showed up as "expired" even though I had over 6 month left on that subscription. Had to delete the Smart License registration and re-register the device from scratch. When I called them up and told them about the licensing issue they told me my device was most likely hacked and I should upgrade to something better than their Small Business product line!  How ridiculous! I use a super strong generated long password and a password manager.

Yesterday 2018-03-28 they automatically upgraded the firmware to 1.0.01.18 and my web filter stopped working again! This time the subscription showed up as unregistered". Had to register again but it still did not filter. Only after a reboot it started filtering again.

This Cisco Small Business RV345 are half-ass Junk! Their support is useless, arrogant and incompetent! They do not care about fixing anything. They just want us all to get sick of it and spend more money on their higher end products. I own six RV345. Have been using dozens of RV325 all over the place and their PPTP used to work fine.

I am going to pay you back Cisco and never again buy any of your products and tell all my friends to do the same!

Same here on RV340 firmware 1.0.03.15, purchased to replace RV320 (PPTP server worked ok).  User password does not contain special characters...

Is there a fix a for this?

2019-Aug-25, 16:38:42 EET
pptp: Peer vpn failed CHAP authentication
pptp: RADIUS: Can't read config file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf
pptp: /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf: no authserver specified
pptpd: CTRL: Ignored a SET LINK INFO packet with real ACCMs!
pptp: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access

Thanks.

Hi everyone,
I had the same issues with my RV340, and I found a solution ! 
If you see your logs, this line need attention : "pptp: RADIUS: Can't read config file /etc/radiusclient/radiusclient.conf" 
What ! Radius , I don't want use a Radius server ! ( this server permit to store ID of user and share it to this rooter) 
Well ! How to change this ? Go to "User Accounts" > Service Auth Sequence  and at PPTP line, change "Customize Primary" To Local DB ! 

That's all ! 
have fun with your RV rooter !

Why is this marked as solved?  I have the latest version of the firmware and I'm still getting the same error !

MarcoLevis91750
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased an RV345P Router to connect remotely. Now I see that users have the problem that PPTP doesn't work, I can't download ANYconnect, I can't open a tiket but above all the router doesn't do what it is supposed to do!

alex_dats1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i have the same issue. I have managed to do l2tp/ipsec but only with pap authentication. Will you fix this issue with a firmware update? We need at least chap authentication.

vintagegoalie
Level 1
Level 1

Quite old but we did have the problem and solve it with this https://community.cisco.com/t5/small-business-support-documents/pptp-vpn-configuration-on-rv340-345-routers/ta-p/3220097  The PPTP protocol configuration PAP instead of MS-CHAP v2 solve the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: