cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Cisco RVS4000 and VPN Client Accounts

plamenkolev87
Level 1
Level 1

Last day I bought this router but i have a problem. I create a vpn user then i generate certificate, export client certificate and copy to the remote PC in the directory C:\Program Files\Cisco Small Business\QuickVPN Client. When I try to connect, Quick VPN dumps an error The remote gateway is not responding. Do you want to wait?

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

PS: My router firmware version is V2.0.0.3. IPSec VPN option is Disabled. Is Quick VPN Client correct program that I have to use?

6 Replies 6

Hi Plamen,

QuickVPN utility really works with RVS4000, and make a VPN connection.

There is no need to configure IPSEC options - they are for point-to-point VPN with other router /s.

To deal with utility you must turn on or off Windows Firewall (on over Win7 in my case , and many people say of for WinXP) - then utility brings up VPN routing. But if you have , like me other kind of firewall (like ESET or NIS) - must configure it or disable temporary - this deside confusion with message "connecting network" . Every problem I have are with firewalls, at this time.

Your must download and copy admin and user certificate into programs folder.

Good luck!

riroe
Level 3
Level 3

On the RVS4000 under the Firewall Settings you will need to Disable the Block WAN  Request option.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Yes, it is important. Your must do "Disable the Block WAN  Request" , also if you have to ping RVS4000 from wan side.

plamenkolev87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

After several days of tests, we understood that our RVS4000 lost its settings. We decided to change this router (it was in warranty) and we bought WRVS4400N (Firmware verison: V2.0.2.1-ETSI). We conf it and try to connect with QuickVPN and the result was the same like the post above: The remote gateway is not responding. Do you want to wait?. We tried to connect with another utility Cisco VPN Client with no success. All attempts are performed with "Disable the Block WAN Requests" option.

Any suggestions please?

Hi Plamen,

I suggest to you to see this article: www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42553  - there are  interesting and helpfull Q&A.

Also you must check:

1. do your have real IP address, if not - you can use DDNS.

2. do your have enable IPSec on router

3. do your have enabled WAN requests  - this is what Rick Roe says.

4. It is recommended to check/ update firmware to last version .

5. it is very recommended to regenerate RSA keys

6. you create users with passwords

7. your must check that IPSec service of Windows PC is not disabled , because it is used from client.

8. Windows firewall on Windows 7 must be enabled and running, alternativly - over WinXP - disabled!

9. your must copy server and client certificates from router to client PC manualy, into program folder of QuickVPN Client

10. i recomend to reduce MTU size to smaller - like 1400 B

I see that router can't connect with slow client connections - like GPRS mobile connections.

I believe that router's connection must be at minimum 1MBit !

Under Firewall you need to DISABLE "Block WAN Requests"

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center