cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with restriction of some domains with router RV320

BobbyMlad78775
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i just tried to restrict some of the domains that can be reach from the PCs that use my router RV320. I did follow all the steps from this link https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb4286-access-rules-configuration-on-rv320-and-rv325-vpn-routers.html

and i've done everything correctly but the domains still can be reach. Any idea why? Any help it will be much appreciated! 

P.S. Is it possible the reason to be something in the Access rules?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@BobbyMlad78775 

Hello,

You can't block websites that use HTTPS encryption with the RV320 routers unless you have the web filtering model - RV320-WB-K9-xx. Content/URL  filtering is looking for HTTP traffic only. As a workaround, you can create an access rules that block communication from your LAN to the public IP addresses of the sites you want to block. So you have to issue nslookup <FQDN> in your PC command prompt (attached image) to get all public IP addresses and then create the deny rules.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post the screenshot , i am more intrested to see first rule.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello, Balaji

this is the screenshot.

Thanks for trying to help me

Hello again,

any suggestions for what should i try to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As per the attached screenshot ‘All Traffic’ allowed from 3 different /24 IP subnet to any destination and from USB interfaces traffic are denied.

What are the domains you are trying to restrict using RV320 router and how you are trying to restrict those domains in RV320 router currently?

Hi Sujoy ,
i didn't explain the situation correctly and also posted wrong link.
This is the link which i followed step by step trying to block some forbidden domains:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/smb4231-content-filter-configuration-on-rv320-and-rv325-vpn-router-s.html
So basically i wanna stop all users that use the router to reach few web sides.
I did everything from the link above but the web sides still can be reach.
I am up for any suggestions.
Thanks in advance

@BobbyMlad78775 

Hello,

You can't block websites that use HTTPS encryption with the RV320 routers unless you have the web filtering model - RV320-WB-K9-xx. Content/URL  filtering is looking for HTTP traffic only. As a workaround, you can create an access rules that block communication from your LAN to the public IP addresses of the sites you want to block. So you have to issue nslookup <FQDN> in your PC command prompt (attached image) to get all public IP addresses and then create the deny rules.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Martin

Thank you very much for your help Martin. So I need to create one access rule for every single site that I want to block right?

Can you also check the screenshot and tell me if the rule it's done corecctly?

Blagodaria ti mnogo!!!

Hello Bobby,

The rule looks fine.

Regards,

Martin

Hi again Martin,

I’ve done everything as you said but it still doesn’t works.

I am attaching and screenshot of the Access rule table if you see something wrong please let me know.

Also I tried to forbid an HTTP site through the content filter but and that wasn't successful.

If you got another suggestions I am up for them!

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Ignore my last message, it works fine now! Thanks a lot Martin, you are great!

You're welcome Bobby!
Regards,
Martin

Hello it's me again. I just tried to forbid cs-online.club but as you can see on the screenshot that you shared the site got 3 different IP addresses, it's not just one so I created 3 access rules, one for every single IP but the site still can be reach. Any suggestions what should I do? I am attaching screenshots of the access rules that I created.

This is how does it looks the Content Filter. All i want to do is to forbid these 2 websites in Forbidden Domains Table. I wanna make them impossible for reaching from all PCs that use my router. Any help it will be greatly appreciated!  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: