cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper RVS4000 Configuration behind a 3rd party router...

jprez1980
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need some help properly configuring the RVS4000 device.  I need all devices to be on the same subnet (192.168.0.x) so proper broadcast messages and bonjour notifications work.  If I am drawing this out correctly in my head I would perform the following:

• Connect LAN port of RVS4000 to LAN port of the switch and statically assign a LAN IP of 192.168.0.251to the RVS4000
  • Switch is connected to LAN port of the 2Wire (192.168.0.254)
  • Change operating mode from Gateway to Router in the RVS4000
  • Connections to the RVS4000 will obtain a DHCP IP address from the 2Wire that's upstream

As the WAN port of the RVS4000 would be unused, will it still answer requests for a VPN connection assuming the proper ports are forwarded to it?

The attached network diagram may help. - Ignore the Coax references.

Thanks!

Diagram.jpg

1 Reply 1

josejack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Jprez1980,

There are a few issues that I see you bumping into.

1. Be sure that the DHCP on the RVS4000 is turned off, or it will attempt to hand out DHCP addresses to anything connected to your switch.

2. It has been my experience that RVS4000 may not accept a VPN connection without the Public IP address being directly on it.

3. What type of VPN connection are you refering to? Gateway-to-Gateway or QuickVpn?

4. If you are going to forward ports to the router for VPN purposes, By default, when you set up a VPN connection (gateway-to-gateway) on this router, then its going to send it to the WAN IP address, you'll find this option under the Local Group Setup, which auto-populates.

The RVS4000 would need to forward ports back out of the LAN for this to work, it can only forward ports originating from the WAN to the LAN, it can't forward from LAN to LAN. For basic routing, I don't see you having an issue at all, but the VPN part will be a bit tricky.

You can try to forward those ports to the LAN Address of the Router and see what you get, but once again, I do see a potential problem.

Hope this helps, try it out anyway and let me know how it goes, I may have a suggestion.

Have a great day.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: