Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS not working on RV180W

Gregory Malloff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been struggling with getting QoS to work on an RV180W router. My goal is to prioritize outbound RDP traffic over everything else. Here is what I’ve done in the configuration:

Create a custom service: RDP (TCP 3389)

Enable WAN QoS under Global Settings

Configure as Priority

Set High Priority to 95%

Set Total WAN Internet Bandwidth to 5Mbps (to match my actual upload capacity)

Add a WAN QoS Profile “High_Priority” and set its priority to “High” (which should be 95%)

Create a profile binding:

Select “High_Priority” for WAS QoS Profile

Select RDP as the Service

Traffic Selector Match Type to IP Address

Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Ending IP Address: 192.168.1.254

With this configuration, I would expect that I could guarantee 95% of my 5Mbps bandwidth to transmit data over the RDP service. 95% of 5Mbps is 4.75Mbps, or roughly 608KBps.

When I connect to an RDP computer and begin uploading a file over RDP (via drive mapping), I can see that I’m getting roughly 600KBps consistently. When I begin uploading a large file to an FTP server, the RDP traffic drops to about half and the FTP traffic is consistent at about 300KBps. I would expect the RDP traffic to remain at roughly 550-600KBps or so, but it is not even close.  If I disable the QoS, there is no change at all.

I’ve spoken with Cisco tech support and they were not able to fix the problem. I was told that the router will use QoS on as-needed basis, but in this case, it clearly is not. I’ve also tried using the rate limit settings which seem to be completely ignored. Is this a firmware issue or a limitation of the router? Am I configuring the QoS incorrectly?

Cheers,

Greg

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: