cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Query RVS4000 with dnsmasq

John Frankish
Level 1
Level 1

Since the rvs4000 does not have an option to resolve local hostnames, I'd like to use dnsmasq running on a machine behind the rvs4000 to do two things:

1. resolve local hostnames

2. add a hostname to devices such as a ps3, iphone, etc based on their mac address

The details of the relationship local ip <--> hostname <--> mac address are held in the rvs4000, it is possible to query it with dnsmasq to get at this infomation?

3 Replies 3

John Frankish
Level 1
Level 1

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If youare going to use DNSmasq why will you need to query the RVS4000? You would use your box running DNSmasq as the DNS server and DHCP if you wanted to and just create an entry in the hostfile for the RVS.

Unless I really missed something.

What I'd like to do is to use the rvs4000 as dhcp server and just use dnsmasq to resolve local hostnames, but dnsmasq would need to get the hostname information from the rvs4000 as it is not acting as the dhcp server. Basically I don't want to leave a machine on 24h/day to be a dhcp server.

Of course I'd like the rvs4000 to have the option to resolve local hostnames, but I doubt that will ever happen.