Views
Helpful
Replies

Questions regarding the RV042

Bob
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am working to get a RV042 configured for one of my clients but I have some questions:

1. I HAVE to change the 192.168.1.1 to a 10.x.x.1 for the router to work?

The client is using that on their network in Windows Server 2003 (for DHCP Server) and I am not sure if it will affect some of their floating license mgrs running on that server.

Should I be able to ping the RV042 from the outside?

5 Replies 5

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

by default the RV042 should not answer to 'pings' from the outside, i don't think it will answer from 'pings' from the inside either

can be enabled though

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please comment on question number 1 - Do I have to change the internal network of my client to a 10.x.x.0 nextwork?

Thanks for your help,

Bob Hanson

Jo Kern
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are not obliged to change the default ip addressing to get the router to work. The router will work out of the box.

you can change the LAN address to a 10.0.0.0/24 subnet or add a secondary lan as in my picture if you want to.

If you want to route from the 10.x.x.x network you already have to the internet, then you would need to add this

network to the RV042. you turn the DHCP server off on the RV042 and add one static 10.x.x.x address to the LAn interface.

Wow, thanks for your help.

Can you please explain how different the user's network address needs to be (running the Quick VPN utility)?

Is it just the IP of the user can't be a conflict on the network or does the gateway of the user needs to also not conflict?

Is there any documentation available for troubleshooting steps to track down where I am having issues?

I have the VPN Router set to use a static address as given by our ISP along with their DNS servers, Subnet mask and gateway.

Just checking if there is a log file written by the Quick VPN utility to better understand where the issues are.

I am using the Quick VPN (1.4.1.2) on a Windows 7 64 bit system

Thanks for your help and have a great day.

Please advise when you get a chance.

Bob Hanson

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: