Views
Helpful
Replies

QuickVPN on Windows 7 & 8 - WRVS4400N

Michel100
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WVRS4400N Router set to accept VPN connection.

With QuickVPN installed on a Windows XP machine, people can easily connect to my VPN.

But when QucikVPn is installed either on a Windows 7 or 8 machine, people can not connect to my VPN.

Any idea what is wrong ?

Thanks.

Michel

10 Replies 10

Jon Crotteau
Level 1
Level 1

On Windows Vista and Windows 7, Windows Firewall needs to be enabled in order for QuickVPN Client to function properly. This issue occurs because IPSec service on Vista is disabled when Windows Firewall is disabled. Some third party firewalls will disable the Windows Firewall, which will cause QuickVPN to fail.

Source: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/csbr/quickvpn/release/notes/QuickVPN_RN_v1-4-1-2.pdf

Hello, 

Jon Crotteau is correct, and I also would like to add that the QuickVPN software is not supported for Windows 8 and above, but it is fully compatible with any version of windows from XP to windows 7 using either 32 or 64 bits processor.

Please keep in mind that, even thou you need to have the windows firewall on on Windows 7, you will have issue is you are using any type of third party Firewall or antivirus that is using Real Time Shield because they will, most likely, stop the connection .

I hope this helps

Hi cchamorr,

I must admit that QuickVPN is not working on Windows 8.1.

Therefore, is there any alternative ?

What can be done to make possible the VPN connection to my WRVS4400N router, under Windows 8.1 ???

Is a special setup required on Windows 8.1 ? (just to recal that QuickVPN works on XP, so I don't want to change anything on my router)

Any other VPN Client could do the work of QuickVPN ?

Thx.

Michel

Hello, 

I'm sorry but there are not any other supported clients for the WRVS4400N and the issue with Windows 8 is related to the OS itself not the router, so there is not configuration that you can change on the router to make it work with windows 8.

In any case, even thou it is not supported (Mostly because it is very unstable), you may still be able to get it to work following the same recommendations than for windows 7.

Hello, 

I just wanted to touch base with you again and find out if you were able to get the QuickVPN to work on you other PC's.

Please let us know.

Hi cchamorr,

No ... QuickVPN refuses to work on Windows 7 or 8.1 ... only works with XP ...

This is very sad ...

People need to be on XP to connect to my VPN through WRVS4400N ...

I don't know what to do ... I was expecting an update of QuickVPN that could work on Windows 7 or 8.1 ...

Ok, lets try this:

Go to the installation directory of the Quick VPN software.

You will find a file named log.txt.

Please share it with us so that I can see what the error is.

No such file ... :-(

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately this is the wrong file.

Normally, the file I'm looking for will be located at c:/program files/Cisco small business/ quickvpn

The file name is log.txt

Other way to find it is to right click on the quickvpn icon and select "open file location"

I hope this helps

Sorry ... ok found it ... was looking at the wrong computer ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: