Helpful
Replies

QuickVPN Windows 8

drozdarl01
Level 1
Level 1

Currently Being Moderated

QuickVPN and Windows 8

I had been using QuickVPN from home to connect to an RVS4000 at my office. I recetnly updgraded to a RV180W.

I can connect a Windows 7 Pro PC on my home network to the RV180W with QuickVPN.

But I cannot conncect with a Windos 8 laptop. I have tried all of the compatibility options to no avail - it times out "Verifying Network."

When will Cisco release a Windows 8 version of QuickVPN? Seems silly to not have done so already as it is getting difficult to buy a laptop or PC that does not have Windows 8 loaded. I have searched the Cisco site and there is no information.

I need to know very quickly as I amy need to return the RV180W and look for another solution that works with Windows 8.

14 Replies 14

Yasien Adams
Level 1
Level 1

On the Windows 8 machine run Cisco VPN Client Version 5.0.0.7.290

This client works well on Windows 8.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to download the latest version but I need to have a Cisco service contract in order to do so. Cisco is also ending the VPN Client and suggestion use of the Mobility Client. I need a con tract for that as well. I am not really i terestd in  spending more money on what should be a simple update to the QuickVPN Client .

Dont download the latest client.

Will see if i can send it to you via message

drozdarl01
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. Any luck sedning the file by message?

Hi, no I was not able to email the file either, it wont allow it.

Have you looked to download the file from elsewhere?

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Bob,

It is unlikely that you will be able to get the Cisco VPN Client 5.x to work with the RV180 router. The only Small Business routers that support that client are the SA500 and ISA500 series.

As of today QuickVPN is not officially supported on Windows 8. We have had some customers report that they were able to get it to work by changing different settings. Some have reported their progress here in the community.

I tested with a clean install of Windows 8 Pro and it did not work. As I recall I received the message "Remote gateway is not responding, do you want to wait?" I played around with the Windows firewall settings and eventually got it to connect. I created an Advanced Rule (Custom Rule?) to allow ICMP inbound and outbound from/to any address. After that I was able to connect without issue. This is not officially supported so I cannot say that it will work in every instance, but it is certainly worth a try.

Please keep the community updated. Hopefully we will have an official release/workaround soon.

- Marty

Thanks Marty.

I am not really comfortable opening up the firewall as I am not that knowledgeable.

I just hope Cisco is working on a Windows 8 compatible version of QuickVPN.  I wish they would give us some information if it is even being worked on, or ever will be.

Is anyone from Cisco monitoring this conversation?

If so, is Cisco doing anything to make QuickVpn Client compatible with Windows 8?

Hi Everyone,

Try this one, it worked for me, under Administrative Tools > Services, Stop "Windows Defender Service"

Regards,

Wendell

Windows Defenser Service is not running so this does not solve the issue.

I am really ticked that Cisco/Linksys has not resolved this yet, Won't be buying thier products anytime soon.

In Windows 8 Quick VPN won't be able to ping remote gateway unless Quick VPN will be run as an administrator.

Thank you for all the frustration and endless hours of troubleshooting cisco .

Still hangs on verifying network even when run as Adminsitrator.

Let me analyze all the steps i took :

Make sure the two networks are not overlapping , make sure they are on different subnets otherwise the router won't be able to tell apart ( i.e inside router netwrok 10.1.100.0/24 remote 10.1.101.0/24)

On cisco router :

1) Disable block wan requests

2) Enable remote management

3) Create Group vpn tunnel (group you put the local network , remote i used microsoft vpn client )

On windows machine :

1) Disable all other connections except the one that will be running on the vpn

2) Windows firewall must be on (disable third party firewall)

3) Make 2 exceptions in windows firewall a) one for incoming icmp all ips ( on adnvanced allow edge traversal)

b) one for outgoing icmp for all ips

4) Make a program excpetion for Quick VPN on firewall

5) On the program right click -> properties -> Compatibility mode for windows vista sp2 and tick run as administrator

Hope that helps.

Still does not work when using a Windows 8.1 client. My windows 7 client works fine.

Maybe it is time for Cisco to update the QuickVPN Client software for Windws 8.1.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: