cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"FQDN" vs "User FQDN" in RV-160 VPN configurations - what matters?

wsalomon1
Level 1
Level 1

I'm upgrading from RV-130 to RV-260 routers for VPNs.

It is not clear to me as to what the exact meaning of "FQDN" and "User FQDN" in the context of a small business with several offices that on different cable system whose IP addresses are served out and changed periodically.

My solutions to changing the changing IP address problem are:

1. Dynamic DNS services where each office is assigned a number such as Office02.dns-server-service.com, Office04.dns-server-service.com, Office06.dns-server-service.com, etc.

2. Each office has its own series of internal IP addresses assigned as 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.4.0/24, 192.168.6.0/24, etc.

I know that FQDNs are made up in the syntax like: bozo.foobar.com.  I have no idea what "User FQDN" means.  Is this what some call a PartialQDN which would be "bozo" only?

In the setting up of VPN connections is there a purpose of distinguishing between "bozo.foobar.com", "foobar.com", and "bozo"?

In the case of a small business with registered domain what is used for a hosted website only, but whose are offices are service by the cable services above, to the registered domain mean any thing in terms of the routers, or are the DDNS address important here?

1 Reply 1

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

To have an RV160 Site-to-Site successful VPN connection, it requires that at least one of the routers be identifiable by a static IP address or a Dynamic DNS hostname. For instance, if one router has only a dynamic IP address, you can use FQDN or user FQDN as identification to establish the connection. The "user FQDN" is simply an email address. 

Also, note the two LAN subnets on either side of the tunnel cannot be on the same network.

Site-to-Site VPN configuration guide is available at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/routers/cisco-rv-series-small-business-routers/Configuring_Site-to-Site_VPN_on_the_RV160_and_RV260.html 

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Martin