cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset WRVS4400N Router IP address and password

johnsonbruce
Level 1
Level 1

I have a conflict with my satellite Internet connection between the modem and router IP addresses. I also somehow entered a password for the router which I now cannot duplicate. I requested help form Cisco.com Customer Support in August, and received a request for additional information which I responded to in September. I attempted to follow-up in October again, but I have not received any reply since the first one on August 11, 2011.

I would appreciate some help. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

14 Replies 14

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for posting. To reset the router to factory defaults, hold the reset button with a paperclip for 30 seconds with it powered on. Unplug the router from the satellite modem/device and configure it with a new IP address (192.168.2.1?) Then plug it back into the satellite connection and it should work fine.

jimnycricket65
Level 1
Level 1

I have a solid DIAG light that will not go away and I can't seem to gain access.  I have tried more than 30 seconds of pressing the reset button.  Help!

jimnycricket65,

Please call 1-866-606-1866 and provide your serial number. If your router is under warranty we can assist.

- Marty

It's about 4 years old or older so I doubt it.  I just want to reset the factory setting again :(

jimnycricket65,

I'm always skeptical but I have seen this work once or twice:

1) Hold the reset button for 30 seconds with the power on

2) While still holding the button, power the router off for 30 seconds

3) Continue to hold for 30 seconds after power on, then release.

This is commonly known as a 30/30/30 reset. In most cases it does nothing. Unfortunately this is the best advice I can provide if you are out of warranty. I still recommend that you call, the newer WRVS4400Ns shipped with a limited lifetime warranty. Feel free to post your SN here and I can look it up for you.

- Marty

THanks for the offer.  Here is my

S/N  SER133804BC

jimnycricket65,

You were correct, the three year warranty expired 22-Dec-2012

If the 30/30/30 reset fails to recover the device, I don't know of any other means to save it.

- Marty

I carefully did the 30/30/30 again and left it on my desk.  I see that the DIAG red light is now off and SSID is allowing connection...  However, I can't access the router via 192.168.1.1

---- I gained access to the router :)

jimnycricket65,

I'm happy to see that you made some progress! If you are trying to connect to the web interface wirelessly, that feature is disabled by default. Plug your PC into the router and try to access it that way. If that fails, try the normal 30 second reset again.

- Marty

I have gained access and set SSID and when I try to add the security settings (password), it doesn't accept.  It is a bit glitch.  Basically, there is something going on and I will try the factory default setting and upgrade with the latest firmware to see if the issues all go way.

jimnycricket65,

This sounds like a browser issue. Try a different browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome) and see if you get better results. Some browsers do not send information to the web server built into the router properly and the settings cannot be saved.

- Marty

Is there a diagnostic tool which I can use to see if my router is in good solid working condition?

jimnycricket65,

There is no diagnostic tool that I am aware of. If you upgrade the firmware and reset to factory defaults, the router should function as new.

- Marty

jimnycricket65
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a diagnostic tool which I can use to see if my router is in good solid working condition?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: