Views
Helpful
Replies

Router-on-a-stick with RVS4000

curtisatogsys
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm planning on redesigning our office's network topology and creating at least three VLANs using a router-on-a-stick type of setup. We have two Cisco Small Business sg200-50 switches, and one Small Business RVS 4000 router. I'm familiar implementing router-on-a-stick setups in IOS, but I've been unable to figure out if it is possible to do this with the small business OSes on the router and switches we have. Does anyone have any exeprience with this? Is it even possible with the small business equipment?

Sorry if this question was already answered elsewhere on the forums; I searched around but couldn't find anything.

Cheers,

Curtis

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Curtis,

Without having the RVS4000 in front of me, it looks like you can. I'm assuming you have multiple vlans on your SG200 and want to route between them as the SG200 is only a layer 2 switch. You can connect the RVS 4000 via trunk port on both the switch and router (its under L2 Switch -> vlan port setting on the rvs4000), and add each vlan to the trunk (under L2 switch ->vlan membership on the rvs). Please note that the RVS4000 is limited to 4 vlans including the default vlan. I believe that the router will automatically create the appropriate static routes when you create the vlans (L2 Switch -> create vlan). The default on the RVS4000 is for intervlan routing to be enabled under Setup -> Advanced routing but double check that if you run into trouble. Also, check the route table, and add static routes as necessary.

You can also upgrade a switch to a SG300, which is a layer 3 switch.

Best,

David

Please remember to rate helpful resonses and identify correct answers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Davidwagman1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Curtis,

Without having the RVS4000 in front of me, it looks like you can. I'm assuming you have multiple vlans on your SG200 and want to route between them as the SG200 is only a layer 2 switch. You can connect the RVS 4000 via trunk port on both the switch and router (its under L2 Switch -> vlan port setting on the rvs4000), and add each vlan to the trunk (under L2 switch ->vlan membership on the rvs). Please note that the RVS4000 is limited to 4 vlans including the default vlan. I believe that the router will automatically create the appropriate static routes when you create the vlans (L2 Switch -> create vlan). The default on the RVS4000 is for intervlan routing to be enabled under Setup -> Advanced routing but double check that if you run into trouble. Also, check the route table, and add static routes as necessary.

You can also upgrade a switch to a SG300, which is a layer 3 switch.

Best,

David

Please remember to rate helpful resonses and identify correct answers.

Thanks for the response, David. I will look into what you've suggested when I get to the office on tuesday.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: