davidmoor1
Level 1
Level 1

My computer is set up with an IP address of:
IP 20.0.1.3
mask 255.255.255.0
router 20.0.1.1
dns 20.0.1.1

where 20.0.1.1 is the address of the RVS4000.  The RSV4000 connects to the internet via a Comcast modem.

I am trying to access a U-Verse residential gateway which has an IP address of 20.0.0.1.  I not using the upstream internet capabilities of the RG. I simply want to be able to access the device in order to query some of it's statistics via the internal web browser, which is at 10.0.0.1.

Both devices are on the same physical network. However a ping to 20.0.0.1 fails.  I can access it if I change my computer settings to point to the RG, i.e. IP 20.0.0.3 and router 20.0.0.1.  But this, of course, cuts my computer off from the internet.

Can I create an entry in the RSV4000 routing table that will get around this problem? Or is there a better way to do this? I tried setting up static routing

Destination IP 20.0.0.1
Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 20.0.1.1

but the rsv4000 says that this is an "invalid gateway address. Netmask and host route conflict."

So why do I have these screwed up address?  Legacy. This network was originally set up with an airport express where the only available local network DHCP address are on the 20.0.1.xxx network.  All of the static IP addresses were then assigned to the 20.0.1.xxxx network outside the DHCP range. Static address were required on some devices due to port forwarding on the RVS4000.

The RG was then physically connected to this local network. It, unfortunately, seems also to have limited network options. So it is 10.0.0.xxx, unfortunately. I've toyed with the idea of using it to generate the DHCP address, but would rather have a solution that doesn't tear down the whole network.

4 Replies 4

mzaccone
Level 1
Level 1

Not clear on what you're describing.  Could you give more detail and provide simple network topology diagram?

Computer  manual 20.0.1.3, rest from RVS4000 via DHCP

|

RG <> Airport Express (bridged mode) <> RVS4000 <> Comcast DOCIS 3.0 modem  <> Internet

RG 20.0.0.1

RVS4000 20.0.1.1, Firewall, DHCP, port forwarding

I'm not sure what additional detail you need.  All of the devices listed above are hardwired as indicated.   Other devices not listed  are either hardwired to the Airport Express or RSV4000, or are access wirelessly via the Airport express.  All (unless manually set)  get their IP from the RVS4000 vis DHCP.   Again, I am just looking to get access to the web server on the RG.  I am not using the Internet capabilities of the RG for reasons that are lengthy but don't, I think, apply to this discussion.

I supposed that I could use the RG for DHCP, but I'd like to avoid having to manually change the manual IP addresses on other connected devices.  I'd also like to keep all of the network management on the RVS4000.

I think what Mr. Zaccone is asking is, how are you connected to the RG? 

Are you connected from your wan port to the RG'S lan connection.  If so, what is the wan ip address that is connected to the RG?

If the RG is in bridge mode and you have a public ip address on the wan, you might not be able to communicate to the RG cause it don't have a joining network to route traffic between.

The connection to the RG is via a LAN port (1 of the 4 local connections on the back).  The same is true for all of the other ports indicated (using one of the 4 port LAN ports on the Airport Express or RSV4000).  So all of the connections shown are local other than the Comcast modem WAN port.  The RG, of course, also has a WAN port.  It uses it for obtaining the U-verse content which it delivers to the U-Verse TV boxes. The U-verse TV boxes attached to it are using the RG's DHCP server so it is not in bridged mode.  However it just supplies addresses for its own private network of TV boxes.  The RSV4000 provides the addresses for all of the devices on my LAN.

I just want to get to the RG web server.  I can get to it if I change my computer's router to 10.0.0.1.    If I do this I loose access to  all of the the other 10.0.1.xxx devices on the network, which includes the Comcast WAN.  That's why I was asking if I can set up a static route to get to the RG network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: