cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 - How do I get PPTP to work?

stanford007
Level 1
Level 1

Setup the RV016 and want to use it as PPTP server. 

I cannot get connection.  Log file shows

Feb 23 18:06:32 2011   Connection Accepted   TCP AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD:49507->AAA.BBB.CCC.EEE:1723 on ixp2

but get an error message on client.  A Connection could not be established.    Get Error 800 on XP.  I know Error 800 is for Authentication or connection failure.

I have setup Accounts in RV016 PPTP and so an baffled.

Any advise?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Tiya Rabb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Paul,

My name is Tiya, thank you so much for your participation in our forum.

To enable PPTP on an RV016 you will

1. Enable the PPTP Server on the RV016
  2. Create a PPTP Client account by entering a username and password
  3. Add the account to the list and then
  4. Save the page settings.

Do you have Dual-WAN enabled? If so, which mode are you utilizing; Smart-Link Back-up or Load Balancing?

Does the Primary WAN have a Public IP address displayed or a private address?

These are a couple of other common parameters that often have an effect on a successful PPTP VPN connection.

Tiya,

Thanks for yoru reponse:

To enable PPTP on an RV016 you will

1. Enable the PPTP Server on the RV016  - DONE
  2. Create a PPTP Client account by entering a username and password  - DONE
  3. Add the account to the list and then - DONE
  4. Save the page settings. - DONE

Do you have Dual-WAN enabled? If so, which mode are you utilizing; Smart-Link Back-up or Load Balancing?  - SMART-LINK, howvver for test purposes I connected only a Single WAN.

Does the Primary WAN have a Public IP address displayed or a private address?  - PUBLIC.

These are a couple of other common parameters that often have an effect on a successful PPTP VPN connection.  -  Such as?

PS:  I went through the entire configuration.  No Luck.

What about the settings for Firewall?   Any changes to be made there?     Added Prts 1723, 1701 and 47.  No Luck.

What about PPTP Passthrough?  Enable?  Disable?   Tried both.   No Luck.

Any ideas??

Ok, let's see:

These are a couple of other common parameters that often have an effect on a successful PPTP VPN connection.  -  Without a Public IP on the WAN we would then need to forward ports 1723 and enable PPTP Passthrough on the RV016; and with the RV016 in Load Balancing mode, traffic would alternate between WAN ports without Protocol Binding. But, as you have clarified, these are not concerns for us here.

PS:  I went through the entire configuration.  No Luck.

What about the settings for Firewall?   Any changes to be made there?     Added Prts 1723, 1701 and 47.  No Luck.

We won't need to make any changes to the firewall. The default firewall settings will allow PPTP VPN connections to the RV016. We would use port forwarding to forward PPTP Ports/Services ONLY if there were a PPTP Server behind the RV016, say Windows 2008 with PPTP.

What about PPTP Passthrough?  Enable?  Disable?   Tried both.   No Luck.

All of the VPN Passthrough are enabled by default, inclusive of PPTP. However, with PPTP Passthrough disabled, PPTP VPN connections to the RV016 will still work.

My recommendation would be to restore the RV016 to factory defaults, configure PPTP VPN, and test. If the RV016 is performing all of the routing for your network, along with the other facts we have clarified, your PPTP VPN should work.

If a restore the RV016 to factory defaults is not an option, I would ensure the firmware is current. BUT should you decide to upgrade or flash the firmware, read the Release Notes first.

Outside of the RV016, I would disable any 3rd party Anti-virus software, and disable the XP Windows firewall and test.

Re-post with your results and we will continue from there.

Thank you!

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Recalled.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: