cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV016 VPN Woes

technology
Level 1
Level 1

My company is using an RV016 router as a gateway to our internal network. My end goal is to allow remote users to access network shares via Samba.

I've been trying to create a VPN using the router with absolutely no luck. I've tried QuickVPN. I've tried creating a client-to-site group vpn. I've tried creating a client-to-site tunnel vpn. I've tried pptp. Nothing will allow me to establish a VPN connection. Sometimes there is information logged in the router but most of the time there is not.

Here is a run down of everything I changed from defaults:

Setup > Network > WAN Setting > WAN1 Configuration:

- WAN Connection Type: Static IP

- MTU: Auto

Setup > Forwarding:

- HTTP [TCP/80~80] is forwarded to a local server

- SSH [TCP/22~22] is forwarded to a local server

DHCP > DHCP Setup > Dynamic IP:

- Range Start: 192.168.1.101

- Range End: 192.168.1.149

DHCP > DHCP Setup > Static IP (several devices are assigned static IP's outside of the Dynamic IP range).

Firewall > General:

- Firewall: Enabled

- SPI: Enabled

- DoS: Enabled

- Block WAN Requests: Disabled

- Remote Management: Enabled (Port: 443)

- HTTPS: Enabled

- Multicast Passthrough: Enabled

Firewall > Access Rules: Default Rules only

Firmware is a little outdated - v4.0.2.08-tm (Jan 14 2011 22:08:38)

I would ideally like to use client-to-site VPN.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply 1

alepatte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Small Business forum.

I assume that your static WAN ip is PUBLIC ip address, if not, you would need to contact your ISP and put your modem to the bridge mode.

For QVPN use, you would need to create a VPN Client access (user name, password and make sure that the account is enabled)

Now, looking at the config above, your router seems is on 192.168.1.x;  That is very typical ip of many users.  You might want to change it to something else like 192.168.2.x.  The remote users needs to be on a different subnet then your router.  So, having the ip address of your router to be on most popular subnet might be an issue for connectivity.

If your remote clients using Windows XP then windows firewall needs to be disabled.  If they are using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then Windows firewall need to be enabled;

Any antivirus needs to be disabled or even uninstalled, at lease for testing purpose.

Ports 500, 4500, 443 and 60443 on your ISP needs to be opened.

Make sure that you are using latest QVPN application.  Here is the link to the latest one:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283879340&flowid=26961&softwareid=282465795&release=1.4.1.2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Let me know if that helps.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco Small Business Engineer

CCNA