Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 502 Bad Gateway The CGI was not CGI/1.1 compliant

joshatams
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've got half a dozen RV042 routers in various locations.  They are running v4.0.0.07.  Seemingly randomly, I got the

502 Bad Gateway

The CGI was not CGI/1.1 compliant.

error when attempting to log into the web interface with google chrome (same with IE too).  This happens from the LAN side.  I actually didn't notice it until my Opsview monitoring software threw up a critical when it didn't get an http response. 

The router is otherwise actually working just fine.

Since the first occurance, more of my routers have developed the same error.

I've tried different browsers, clearing caches, though I'm not surprised those efforts were fruitless, as there is clearly a problem even when no browser is involved (nagios).  The nagios http check also returns a 502 Bad Gateway.

I suppose a reboot is in order, but I'm looking for other explanations/solutions before having to reboot, as I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.  If I can provide any more input, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I know you're trying to avoid a reboot, but I'd try it and see if the issue goes away.  The rv series starts acting funky when they haven't been rebooted in a while.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Does this happen to only certain websites or all websites?

I have not seen or heard of any other cases similar to this.

Does this website perhaps provide any suggestions?

http://getnetgoing.com/HTTP-502.html

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response.  I actually ran across that page in my efforts to research this issue   Unfortunately, the info on that page seemed more about the nature of the error in general, rather than anything specific to the Cisco product. 

This only happens when I'm attempting to log into the RV042's web based administration.  I can reach the router's login page (i.e. the blue screen with UN and PW fields).  However, when clicking the Login button, I get the error mentioned above. 

I'm assuming it's the RV0 itself serving that error page, as the URL showing for that error is http://router.ip.add.ress/default.htm

Thank you for the quick response back. I will do a little more research here to see if I can come up with anything. I notice you mentioned Chrome and IE which versions? with IE did you try using compatibility mode. (just thinking of anything we can try, since I have not seen this before) I know that I have personally used IE8 and Firefox 3.5.1 with that router.

Eric Moyers

Both current versions:

Chrome:  26.0.1410.43 m

IE:  10.0.9200.16521 (updated this morning actually, but same issue prior to this morning's update).

I've not tried with any other IE settings as the error seemed to me to be browser agnostic, with Nagios getting the same error.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I know you're trying to avoid a reboot, but I'd try it and see if the issue goes away.  The rv series starts acting funky when they haven't been rebooted in a while.

Just a follow up here...

I found time to reboot one of RV0s, and the issue went away.  Great!  Now I just need to find the time to reboot the other affected routers

Thanks for all the input!

Josh

Glad that worked for you.   Just keep an eye on it as you may have to reboot on a regular basis to keep this issue from popping up regularly.  I usually find that remote logging-in once in a while and rebooting isn't so bad a task compared to the trouble it is to diagnose the root case.

Hi everyone,

I have a similary issued with my router RV042G V01, error 502 bad gateway, whe I trying log into the web interface with any browser, then I reboot the router this working fine but later a days the router return the same error. 

The router already have up date with last firmware version released.

I hope anybody can help me solve this issue.

Thanks 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: