cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Admin Login Problem

Jon Barbee
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new RV042 that was installed yesterday. Configuration went fine. Updated the firmware to the current version.

This morning, everything works as expected except I cannot log into the admin web page. The login page comes up and after I enter my username/password, nothing happens. The browser finallly times out saying the page is not available.

If I cycle the power on the router I can log in, but the admin page later becomes inaccessible as before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jerry,

To assure, that is abnormal behavior and it is not a documented issue, so it would be a localized problem.

A few things to ensure and try;

1.) Make sure the wire from the computer is firmly seated in to the RJ-45 connector of your NIC and RV042

2.) Verify your computer is still receiving DHCP, if no DHCP, can you statically assign to the same subnet?

3.) After your configurations, did you change the LAN IP and did you update your browser to reflect the change? Keep in mind if you change the LAN scheme, the device may reboot

4.) Try different internet browsers, IE9, Firefox, Chrome

5.) When you cannot access locally, can you remote manage the router over the WAN interface?

6.) What version firmware is the router? If the latest version, did you factory reset the router after upgrade?

7.) Factory default the unit if all the above stuff doesn't work

8.) After factory default, verify the device log in/out is working as expected before continuing configuration and then manually configure the device

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Also make sure if you have a Proxy Cache setup on your broswer that you exempt this from the Local RV042's IP address otherwise your Browser gives you "cannot load page" issue.

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

rob.brookbanks
Level 1
Level 1

There's definitely more to it than a browser cache/localised issue. Just got a brand new RV 042 G, latest firmware and the browser UI goes to sleep after a while. Tried it from three different machines with four different browsers (some of which have never been to the IP address before) and the login screen displays but as soon as you press login it shows connecting and then you get the page cannot be displayed error message.

Tried from OSX, Win 7 Pro using Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE9 all are currently unable to connect once you press login.

Router is still passing traffic but is unmanageable.

newkansan
Level 1
Level 1

I had this exact problem with the RV042G.  I could never pinpoint what triggered this behavior--it would work fine for a few hours, then the next day I couldn't login and would have to power cycle the router.  I was nervous enough about there being a defect (this was my 2nd consecutive RV042G with issues) that I eventually returned the router for refund with the decision to try it again in some months after a firmware update or two.

Incidentally, after I already returned the router, someone said this worked for them:  Even though you're on the latest firmware, reflash it again with the latest firmware.  I can't promise it'll work, but it's worth a try.

rob.brookbanks
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pleased we're not alone, I've counted at least half a dozen other threads with the same issue, all of which say it's not a documented problem. The only reason it's undocumented is because no-one has documented it, not beause it's not happening.

I used to be very familiar with IOS, I'm more than happy with routing and debugging, I'm certain it's not a local issue.

Robert, if you could contact SBSC, I'm sure the issue can be documented and tracked till resolution.

Thanks, how would I do that in the UK?

Regards,

Rob

rob.brookbanks
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, interestingly the router's web UI has come back all on it's own.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else who has this problem can leave the router alone for 24 hours or so and see if it returns.

Having spoken to Cisco on the phone a couple of times I have to say I'd rather chew my own leg off without anaesthetic than repeat the process....