cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Config Do I Want a Gateway or a Router?

Rwensley01
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am setting up a dual WAN network in our small business office and I am confussed on the set up of the RV042.

On WAN1 I have a satellite modem connected

On WAN2 I have a cradlepoint CTR35 Router with a verizon aircard

The satellite has lag issues and will drop out during poor weather but has a 17GB dowload limit

The verizon aircard has only 5GB download limit but normally works in poor weather

WAN1 IP = 70.66.93.4

WAN2 IP = 192.168.0.1

LAN IP = 172.16.0.1 which goes to a switch and many computers

Any help on the configuration of the RV042 is welcomed.

Do I select obtain DNS autmaticly on both WAN1 and 2?

Do I set this up as a gateway or a router?

Thank you for your assistance,

Ron Wensley

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Ron,

Thank you for posting. Normally you would select obtain DNS automatically for WAN1 and 2. If the router is directly connected to a modem and is the device that allows your other devices to get to the internet, always select Gateway mode. Router mode is very seldom used and is for if you have the router configured behind another router that is the internet gateway. In your case you should use Gateway Mode. Please reply if you have any other questions.

Pardon my confussion.  I am not an IT person as you can tell.

WAN1 is a modem

WAN2 is router/modem

So if I understand correctly in this configuration I will use the RV as a gateway.  And select obtain DNS automaticly on BOTH Wan1 and WAN 2.

Is this correct? 

I can see a networking course in my future now.

Thank you,

Ron Wensley

Ron,

WAN1 is a modem

WAN2 is router/modem

So if I understand correctly in this configuration I will use the RV as a gateway.  And select obtain DNS automaticly on BOTH Wan1 and WAN 2.

Is this correct? 

Yes, this is correct.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: