cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 DDNS fields too small + workaround

jrhelgeson
Level 1
Level 1

The DDNS tab only permits 15 characters for the URL used for Dynamic DNS, however, I use DDNS and my URL is jrhelgeson.boldlygoingnowhere.org, and boldlygoingnowhere is 18 characters.

The first field accepts 20 characters, second accepts 15, third accepts 4.

My workaround/hack I used to get this to work is in the first field, where you currently see Host Name: "jrhelgeson", I entered j.boldlygoingnowhere

and in the second field, i put in .org.  After submitting this information, it parsed the data and populated "boldlygoingnowhere" into the second field, which only permits the 15 characters, and it put ".org" into the third field, so I deleted the period in the third field leaving it just "org". Then I could delete the data in the first field, and type in JRHelgeson, then submit it, and  as you can see, it submitted just fine.

DynDNS-11-15-2009 7-37-58 PM.png

And now that you know what my DynDNS is, you can all come check out pictures of my family and kids, as soon as I get everything configure... whenever that is.

Message was edited by: jrhelgeson

5 Replies 5

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Yeah, I looked at your post and I was trying to figure out the model of router you have.  It looks like one of our rv series routers.  As of yet, I don't know of any workaround the characters in the dnydns tab for your domain name.  I would maybe select a shorter domain name to connect up to the router.  Plus I would make sure you have the latest version of firmware on the router as that may fix it.  Without knowing what router model that is all i have to go on.

YES, it is an RV042... if you click the screenshot, you'll be able to see the RV042, it gets cropped off in the box it is displayed in.

It has the latest firmware, and if you type in data into a DNS field, with the dots, it will auto parse the information into their proper fields.

Going with a smaller dns name is not the solution I was looking for.  Being that I got it to work, I wanted to share the solution.

Sounds good with the work around, I will note that.  Thanks for the reply.

Oh, and if we can plug this in as an enhancement request for future revisions, to increase the field length to 20-25 for the domain name.

I will note that, Cisco monitors the community forums daily so any issues or suggestions you can post them in the community.  Thank You.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: