cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 DHCP Gateway Settings

ccolotticisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a core routing switch along with my RV042.  I am using the RV042 for DHCP, BUT I would like to issue a different default gateway than the router itself.  I'd rather give the address of the core switch as the default gateway to my DHCP clients as I have to route to various other VLAN's.  Instead now  I have to do static routes in the RV042 to get back to those when it would be cleaner if I can just get the RV042 to issue a different Default Gateway to DHCP clients.  Is this possible?

7 Replies 7

vvijaysa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Yes. I guess it may be possible. You can make the RV042 to act as a DHCP relay and the switch as the DHCP server.

Hope this helps,

Vijay

Please rate useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I don't want to use it as a relay and the sqitch is not a DHCP server.  I simply want to manually change the IP address the router hands out for the Gateway from it's own IP to a different IP

Hello,

I think you can connect the switch through the router's wan port and set the switch's IP address as the default gateway for the router.

Thanks,

Vijay

Please rate useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I don't think you are understanding the request.  I want the RV042 to remain the external gatway router.  The core swotch is configured to use it as the last hop to the internet for all VLAN's.  My simple issue is when using DHCP on the RV042 it gives clients It's own address 192.168.100.1 as the gateway.  I want to CHANGE that entry to simply give clients 192168.100.10 as the gateway which is the core switch interface.  I don't have a physical DHCP server on the network and I am trying to avoid routing through the RV042 when I have a high speed core routing switch.  I just want the RV042 to stay as the last hop gateway and simple change the DHCP gateway entry it's handing out to clients.  This really is a simple request and I feel can be done with the telnet console given the right login credentials and the commands to make the change in the DHCP server settings.

This has nothing to do with physical port connectivity, it's a question about the DHCP server configuration in the device, and both WAN ports are already in use for dual WAN connectivity.

I don't see this being possible with the RV042 or RV042g router.

I've managed to do this by using another machine with fully configurable DHCP server (Linux, dhcpd).

Could it be that your managed switch also has a built in DHCP server, might solve it ?

The managed switch does not have one built in only DHCP relay.  That's a real bummer as I have no other "permanent" machines in the lab to do DHCP.  You'd think as a small business unit you could simply edit the DHCP address given out by the DHCP server.  Seems like a simply request.

Hi CC, a very basic idea may be to have a computer run a free program such as TFTPD32 if you need a customized DHCP server. The only drawback with TFTPD32 it supports only 1 subnet. This may be a good alternative, simple and free solution depending on your creativity. You may be able to find another free DHCP program that support multiple vlans so long as the computer running the program can support the network requirements.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: