cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - direct browsing traffic to only one WAN port?

pacpac2010
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a RV042 (firmware 1.3.13.02-tm). Is it possible to configure so traffic from a specific domain (incl. its sub-domains) is directed exclusively to one WAN port? If so, how can I do this? Thanks.

12 Replies 12

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi PAC, in a load balance environment it affects only outbound traffic which would use protocol bind to force traffic through a particular WAN port, meaning it won't affect inbound traffic.

The access rules page only supports source interface but you may try to create an access rule that looks something like this;

Action Allow

Service - (Whatever service you're using)

Source interface WAN 1

Source IP address - Range of public IP address from the domain/sub domains

Destination Ip address - The IP address of your subnet or specific nodes

Now, if you're using a load balance environment, you may want to bind traffic to WAN 1 that originate from the specific hosts that make the request to the domain/sub domains to ensure the source IP address leaving the router otherwise it would be possible to have a different source IP going over the 2nd WAN.

I'm not sure if it would work this way but to the best of my knowledge this would about be the only way to make it work since the router doesn't support telling inbound services to use a specific WAN.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom, nope, does not seems to work. I can see from the site I am logging in to that both the IPs from WAN 1 and 2 are used. I also tried to set the 'deny' rule on WAN 2 and 'allow' rule on WAN 1, but when closing WAN 1, I could still access the site. Ideas?

Pac, to make sure I am understanding you correctly, do you want to make OUTBOUND traffic use a specific WAN port or INBOUND traffic use a specific WAN port?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi, I want to make outbound traffic to use a specific port. As an example, when I access my VPS control panel (HTTPS and HTTP) from my PC via the browser, I have difficulties logging in because the VPS control panel sees frequent shifts in the IPs used, i.e. the IPs on WAN 1 and 2. I experience the same with other sites. I can bind the HTTP and HTTPS protocol to one WAN and that works just fine. But, then I loose the load balancing feature, which is the reason I am using the RV042.

If you're using specific LAN ip machine for the request, you may bind those clients for all destinations using 0.0.0.0. Otherwise you would need all invididual addresses for the service you're accessing.

-Tom

You could configure a protocol binding rule to bind http traffic from a single LAN IP address (or a range of IP addresses) to a specific WAN port. The configuration is located at the System Management>Dual WAN page.

Hi, what I am accessing is outside my LAN. Still having problems when configuring protocol binding when I set:

Service: HTTP

Source IP: 192.168.1.100 (my PC's static IP)

Destination IP: [the IP of the domain, same IP in the first and second field]

Interface: WAN 1

Enabled: ticket

With these settings I am unable to access the site, the browser hangs on 'connecting'... What am I doing worng?

You might want to remove all custom access rules first to troubleshoot the issue.

I removed all other custom rules, tried a new site (as my previous post). I am unable to access any sites I configure like this. Ideas?

Add -> When I do 'All Traffic' from Source IP 192.168.1.100 to 100, Destination IP all set to zero and Interface WAN 1, I am not able to access any sites at all. Is this correct behaviour?

Hi, I did a manual reset of the RV042 and configured as above, still not able to access sites. Ideas?

Got a solution to this problem?
I am also configuring the same way but it does not work.
Also I can not update the formware.

I think I got it with "protocol binding".
All trafic
192.168.5.213 to 213
0.0.0.0 to
Wan2
Enabled.