cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042: DUAL-WAN-Config: correct values for max. Upstream / Downstream

av
Level 1
Level 1

We bought a RV042 to increase the bandwith using two separte ADSL-connections (modems) at a location, where the max. (single) ADSL-bandwith ist limited. Which is here ("best effort") about 6MB download / 500 kB upload.

Actually it is unclear what I've to choose for values in config:

DUAL WAN --> Max Bandwidth Provided by ISP: -->  Upstream / Downstream

a) Do I have to enter the best effort values (the theoretical absolute max. values) which normaly never will be arrived?
--> I fear, that if I enter this values (which never will be achived from the ISP), that RV042 newer switches to the second WAN-Port.

b) If I enter to low values (ex.  500 kb), I fear, that the main WAN1-Port will not used full (just limiting at the ex. 500 kB), and the RV042 almost allways wil bring the load to WAN2

So which values do I have to enter, for an optimal "Load Balancing"?

Our Goal is, that WAN1 i used full until more bwandwith/traffic is needed and then WAN2 ist also used (we have some other devices on WAN2-ADSL-Modem).

Thansk for help!

1 Reply 1

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

There should be options for both upstream and downstream.  I usually put in the max I see from my ISP, so that the router has proper information to bring up the other link.  Otherwise, you're right, it will continue to hammer one WAN expecting more bandwidth to come out of it.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: