I recently bought my daughter a refurshed dell 17" laptop which has Windows 8 home edition on it. She also has another smaller laptop with windows 7 on it, an X-box-360 and a PS3 all connected to this RV042 Business router.
I do not have access to the firmware version of the RV042. I believe it was updated in 2011 or early 2012.
We found out that with the RV042 firewall set to ON, she is UNABLE to hit her college website with the new win 8 computer
She CAN go to the college web site with the smaller win 7 computer when the firewall is off or on.
The college website is https://
The win 8 computer will allow google searches, but when you click on any of the links, it will not load.
With the win 8 computer, facebook will not load, MSN and Hotmail will not load.
Disable firewall, and most (if not all) items that did not work, magically DO work when the RV042 firewall is disabled for the win 8 laptop.
Anyone else having issues with with win 8 home edition and the RV042 firewall enabled? Is there a "simple" cure for this, other than slicking the laptop and putting win 7 on it?
Hi Gary, that's kind of odd. I have a RV042G here with a Window 8 laptop and I haven't run in to this. Is the window 8 computer on the latest Window updates? Can you/she try running a compatability mode on the internet browser? Or use a different internet browser?
You may try to adjust the security setting on the internet browser as well. But honestly, I don't have a problem with this so I'm not sure I could help much.
Please mark answered for helpful posts
We've have already tried compatibility mode, lowering the security setting to minimum.
Dell technical support has given up, they are supposedly sending my daughter a brand spanking new wireless router at no cost to close the ticket. It's a sweet laptop that I got for a steal (17" viewable touch screen, 1TB drive, 6 GB RAM, i5 chip) and I don't want to return it becuase i will not find another for $435.00.
I have two newer cisco VPN style routers here, and the laptop in question runs absolutely fine here on the highest settings and without me altering my network at all. Don't have a clue what the issue is with the RV042, the laptop and Win8.
If I find a solution I will let everyone know.
A couple of things I would try:
Set a static IP for the laptop via DHCP in the RV042.
Set a static IP for the laptop manually by making one up like 192.168.1.10 and excluding 192.168.1.2-20 from the DHCP on the RV042.
Manually put in the DNS entries for the RV042 and let it issue a normal DHCP address.
Ping your ISPs main web site (charter.com, etc.) from the win8 machine and see if that works for each of these configurations if web browsing does not.
If the ping works, access a website directly via it's IP address on the win8 machine and see if that works.
Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com