cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Lag in loading web pages

abudef000
Level 1
Level 1

It happens to me very often that when loading web pages browser "hangs" for a few seconds before continuing to load the page. This problem occurs in the latest firmware 1.3.12.19-tm. This problem does not occur in older firmware version. Do you know the solution to this problem in the firmware 1.3.12.19-tm?

Question for Cisco: Will you release new firmware for version 1.1 of this router (silver one)?

12 Replies 12

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

Would you mind sharing more information about your environment, e.g. PC/Mac, web browser version, and types of URLs that are more problematic? 

Win 7 64, Firefox 4, IE 9, 8, Chrome 10. I made few tests connecting through RVS4000 without any problems, so I thing this issue is not PC environment related. I´ve noticed that disabling SPI firewall reduce this problem in mentioned latest firmware.

fwofford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Abudef000,

I would save a copy of my config files. Once saved Factory reset the device back to its default settings. Flash the firmware, meaning reinstall.

Once you have factory reset the device and reinstalled the firmware, test the ability to load web pages. Sometimes when a firmware upgrade is performed it doesn't install completely, try this to remedy this problem and then upload your config files so that you won't have to manually reconfigure this device.

Hope this helps.

Fredrick A Wofford

Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support

I reloaded firmware many times including emergency upload (power off -> press reset -> power on while holding reset -> load firmware) but this doesn´t help.

Have you ever changed the MTU settings on the Router? If the MTU is set to Auto I would change the setting to Manual and maybe try

1492 as the MTU setting.  The MTU setting is located under the setup tab under the WAN1 and WAN2 setups. Give this a try and see

if it changes anything for you.

THANKS

Rick Roe

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Hi,

I made ping test with next result:

C:\>ping www.nic.cz -f -l 1472 Příkaz PING na www.nic.cz [217.31.205.50] - 1472 bajtů dat: Odpověď od 217.31.205.50: bajty=1472 čas=13ms TTL=58 Odpověď od 217.31.205.50: bajty=1472 čas=27ms TTL=58 Odpověď od 217.31.205.50: bajty=1472 čas=15ms TTL=58 Odpověď od 217.31.205.50: bajty=1472 čas=13ms TTL=58 Statistika ping pro 217.31.205.50: Pakety: Odeslané = 4, Přijaté = 4, Ztracené = 0 (ztráta 0%), Přibližná doba do přijetí odezvy v milisekundách:     Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 27ms, Průměr = 17ms

On the basis of this test I think that MTU=1500, which is automatically detected by RV042, is right value.

Hi abudef000,

Try changing the MTU to Manual and leaving the value at 1500. Sometimes this helps.

Manually set MTU did not help, RV042 behaves exactly as before.

Abudef0000,

Actually based on the output you have, the mtu's should be set to 1472 and not 1500.

At 1500 it would be fragmenting if that is the maximum size a packet can go through without fragmenting.

Hi David,

isn´t it necessary to ad 28 for ping test result (20 bytes for IP header and 8 bytes for ICMP echo request header)?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793

Abudef000,

Your correct about the 28 bits added to the mtu's. 

Are you still experiencing the lag in the Gui?

Yes, not router gui, but when entering web site on the Internet, as I wrote at the beginning. It would be useful to analyze changes between firmware 1.3.12.6-tm and 1.3.12.19-tm, because older version is not affected with this issue!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: