cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 problems getting Static IPs to work

jjonessteele
Level 1
Level 1

We are using the RV042 with two BT Business Hubs, one with just one IP and one with 5 static IPs. We have it setup and working with the local PCs in the 192.168.1. range, but need to link a couple of local PCs to 2 of the static IPs as we need an outside website to verify our IP address each time we log on.

I have tried using one-to-one NAT linking 192.168.1.60 to 2??.???.???.60 but the external site always sees the 81.???.???.??? address which is the public IP of the hub.

I have searched all the problems other people have had, but no one seems to have had this problem.

Can anyone help?

5 Replies 5

jjonessteele
Level 1
Level 1

Could really do with some advise on this.

As a start, could I get help on how anyone has successfully got Static IP to work?

Can no one from Cisco even give a hint at what I should beside scrapping this and buying something decent?

Hi,

I have included the admin guide link below to help with the one to one NAT configuration.  You can map a single relationship, or map an internal IP address range to an external range of equal length (for example, three internal addresses and three external addresses). The first internal address is mapped to the first external address, the second IP internal IP address is mapped to the second external address, and so on.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv0xx/administration/guide/rv0xx_AG_78-19576.pdf

The configuration for the One to One NAT is on page 51-52.

Alternatively, if you need to map the PC’s directly to the public IP address you could place them in the DMZ.  This would apply the public IP directly to the PC.

If you need additional Information please let me know.  I will be happy to help.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle

Thanks for the reply Jason.

I have followed the one-to-one setup in the manual, mapping one of the BT hubs static addresses to my PC, but accessing whatsmyip.com still shows the hubs dynamic IP.

Can't use the DMZ as we are also using the RV042 as a load balancer.

I am sure there is an obvious solution I am overlooking, but so far it eludes me.

John

I think that the one-to-one NAT settings would only affect incoming traffic, so the behavior you are seeing sounds right.  If you used the DMZ and assigned static public IP's, then you would get the individual public IP's reported by whatsmyip.com instead of the one assigned to the router.

To test if it's working, you need to enable a service on one of the PC's and then try to access it remotely.  Also, I believe that your firewall rules still apply even though you are using the one-to-one NAT, so make sure you have appropriate rules defined there for each service.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: