cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 protocol binding for SIP and RTP (VoIP)

felix.schneider
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,

I have a RV042 with a DSL (WAN1) and cable (WAN2) internet connection in Load Balance Mode. The DSL provider also provides internet telephony when registered via his line. When I disable the WAN2 port, my IP phone successully registers with the registration server of the DSL provider. I also defined protocol bindings for SIP (port 5060) and RTP (ports 5004 to 5020) to be bound to WAN1. My IP phone is set up to listen on only these ports.

The rules are in detail:

SIP(UDP/5060~5060) -> "myPhoneIP"~"myPhoneIP" ("RegistrationServerP"~"RegistrationServerIP") WAN1 [Enabled]

SIP(UDP/5060~5060) -> "RegistrationServerIP"~"RegistrationServerIP" ("myPhoneIP"~"myPhoneIP") WAN1 [Enabled]

RTP(UDP/5004~5020) -> "myPhoneIP"~"myPhoneIP" ("RegistrationServerP"~"RegistrationServerIP") WAN1 [Enabled]

RTP(UDP/5004~5020) -> "RegistrationServerIP"~"RegistrationServerIP" ("myPhoneIP"~"myPhoneIP") WAN1 [Enabled]

With these protocol bindings in place when I re-enable WAN2, then after some time the phone reports "registration failed".

Do I need to set something else apart from protocol binding to force the VoIP traffic to go via WAN1?

Thanks for your help

Felix

23 Replies 23

Yes. Internet works fine with WAN2 (cable).

Is it possible to change the DNS server for WAN 2 primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 4.4.4.2 ?

If the configuration is dynamic, there should be a check box to use different DNS servers. Let's give this a try to see if the phone does not care for the DNS configuration.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Phone still reports "Registration failed".

What is the firmware version on the router, also, can you reboot the router?

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Firmware is v4.2.1.02 (Jan 18 2012 14:10:55)

I already checked for more recent firmware. My version seems to be the most current.

I will reboot the router and report the result here as soon as it is up again.

Magic!

Thanks so much, Thomas. Enjoy your holiday

Congrats! And I certainly plan to. Enjoy your day as well.

Thomas, are you still there?

I have to admit I changed the DNS settings back to "automatic" out of "aestetical reasons", and because I didn't understand why DNS plays a role (we are dealing with IP addresses, not domain names).

After "Registration failed" I switched back to 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.2 and rebooted. First again "Registered", then after some minutes "Registration failed".

It looks like if I solved my problem. The key hint was Thomas' remark that in the event of WAN failure, protocol bindings fail over to the working WAN. In my setup I had Network Service Detection enabled with Default Gateway selected as the target for the ping attempts. What I was observing in the System Log were strange messages of "NSD FAIL WAN[1]". I did not understand these because WAN1 was working fine. Now I had the idea to try to ping the Default Gateway of WAN1 manually in a command prompt window and obtained "Request timed out". I guess this machine simply drops ICMP packets but works OK as a gateway since I do not experience any problems using WAN1 for internet access.

Now I disabled Network Service Detection and since then my IP-Phone keeps being registered via WAN1 with my DSL provider.

Best regards,

Felix

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: