cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Get the latest Cisco news in this February issue of the Cisco Small Business Monthly Newsletter

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted

Re: RV042 protocol binding for SIP and RTP (VoIP)

Yes. Internet works fine with WAN2 (cable).

Highlighted
Advocate

Is it possible to change the DNS server for WAN 2 primary to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 4.4.4.2 ?

If the configuration is dynamic, there should be a check box to use different DNS servers. Let's give this a try to see if the phone does not care for the DNS configuration.

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Highlighted

Phone still reports "Registration failed".

Highlighted
Advocate

What is the firmware version on the router, also, can you reboot the router?

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Highlighted

Firmware is v4.2.1.02 (Jan 18 2012 14:10:55)

I already checked for more recent firmware. My version seems to be the most current.

I will reboot the router and report the result here as soon as it is up again.

Highlighted

Magic!

Thanks so much, Thomas. Enjoy your holiday

Highlighted
Advocate

Congrats! And I certainly plan to. Enjoy your day as well.

View solution in original post

Thomas, are you still there?

I have to admit I changed the DNS settings back to "automatic" out of "aestetical reasons", and because I didn't understand why DNS plays a role (we are dealing with IP addresses, not domain names).

After "Registration failed" I switched back to 8.8.8.8/4.4.4.2 and rebooted. First again "Registered", then after some minutes "Registration failed".

Highlighted

RV042 protocol binding for SIP and RTP (VoIP)

It looks like if I solved my problem. The key hint was Thomas' remark that in the event of WAN failure, protocol bindings fail over to the working WAN. In my setup I had Network Service Detection enabled with Default Gateway selected as the target for the ping attempts. What I was observing in the System Log were strange messages of "NSD FAIL WAN[1]". I did not understand these because WAN1 was working fine. Now I had the idea to try to ping the Default Gateway of WAN1 manually in a command prompt window and obtained "Request timed out". I guess this machine simply drops ICMP packets but works OK as a gateway since I do not experience any problems using WAN1 for internet access.

Now I disabled Network Service Detection and since then my IP-Phone keeps being registered via WAN1 with my DSL provider.

Best regards,

Felix