cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 - route some IP addresses to WAN2

dejanristanovic
Level 1
Level 1

My Linksys RV042 is in Smart Link Backup mode, WAN1 beeing the primary interface.

I want certain part of my network, IP addresses 192.168.10.128 - 192.168.10.159, to use WAN2 all the time, so that WAN2 is utilized. How to add route to do that? Please help.

2 Replies 2

Alejandro Gallego
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Well this is a toughy. Since we cannot define our IP rules with that kind of precession on the RV042 we really can't do that. Now here is a screenshot of something that may work. I say "MAY" as in a real big maybe! The thing is, we can't create a rule that says "send this LAN to this WAN"; otherwise, you probably would not even be asking.

I think if we deny traffic from the WAN to your IPs they should respond back to that particular interface, but there is a small catch. Since our two options on the RV042 is either "Smart Link" or "Load Balance" we are stuck in a little pickle. This is because the client (LAN) is usually the one to initiate the connection and the router will Load Balance and IT will decide which WAN port to go out on. So, my little idea may not work. I am not at work at the momment so I cant take a look at a RV, but I do beleive with the latest firwares we can do protocol bindings and from there we can split traffic.

Anyway, what we need to battle with is "Load Balancing" and we need to place rules that will work in this mode. Let me know if this helps, or maybe someone else will step in with a better idea.

Screen shot 2010-01-09 at 11.21.43 PM.png

What an interesting idea - deny these addresses in hope they will go over backup link. I will try it tomorrow, but I doubt it will work.

What happens when you select Load Balance (instead of Smart Link Backup) and then send all the traffic from a certain segment of IP addresses to WAN2 and everything else to WAN1? If WAN1 fails, will the traffic still go to WAN2?

Dejan