cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 VPN , able to create tunnel but not able to connect using quickvpn

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

Im able to create a gateway tunnel with two rv042 routers in different locations  ( i can see the tunnel connected in the router) but the quick vpn utility is not working , i also tried to use the pptp as server as an alternative( im able to connect using windows connection to the pptp server but whenever I browse any of the four ip's allowed for the pptp server \\10.0.0.200-204 it takes me to the documents of the local computer....I attached the configuration for one of the routers it is the same as the other end , just the information is flipped.

Message was edited by: Adrian Torres

7 Replies 7

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a beginner installing vpn's , any help would be aprecciated. Thanks!

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

I just realized that by just creating the tunnel between both gateways im supposed to be already connected to the vpn. but i still cant connect using the quick vpn software (i created a client to gateway tunnel and then added the user in the router, im trying to connect from my house to either one of the offices routers....another question i have is ....im able to browse the router of the other end whenever im in the office by typing the router address but im still not able to see the other computers in the other end...do i have to be in the same workgroup to be able too browse the files? i added the nat traversal and netbios broadcast. i also enabled RIP in advanced settings ( receive RIPv1 and v2, and transmit RIPv2 Broadcast for both routers, after updating the firmware of the routers to v4.0.3.03 this options were deactivated for some reason,)..one of the routers is setup as 192.168.1.1 and the other is setup as  10.0.0.1 but both have the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 do they have to be different also?

Message was edited by: Adrian Torres

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so i was able to finally access a network hard drive using the vpn ( i was having trouble because the ip of the hard drive was not static, so it was changing with dhcp) im able to access the files after mapping the drive, I havent tried to access other computers because the main point of the vpn for my offices was to access the network hard drive, my final configuration for both routers for the gateway tunnel is the following: i took off the nat traversal option, i activated netbios broadcast, receive ripv1 and v2, transmit ripv2 broadcast, i didnt change the subnets masks of 255.255.255.0, but i changed the workgroup of the computers to be the same, I also activated the firewall , for the gateway section im done but i still cant connect using the quick vpn im going to try to connect from a different computer tonight...ill keep updating!

Adrian,

Just seen this post  , never having done this, doing a pretty good job. On your last post since you have a gateway to gateway,i see you are able to access the hard drive across the tunnel is working. This lets me know that everything is up and working properly between both routers.

Problem with Qvpn best advise on this is to pull up the release notes for the Qvpn. If you are not running the latest Qvpn please download to local computer and run. When you unzip this , you will see the release notes for the Qvpn.

Also make sure RV042 is running on latest firmware. This being said, all Qvpn is an application that allows you to easily configure the Windows IPsec client and connect to our routers. Hints the reason its free. Generally if you get to REMOTE GATEWAY NOT RESPONDING on Qvpn and it doesn't connect; then something on the computer,software,anti-virus is blocking the ping request from getting back to the remote host.

Note: every time you add or edit a user make sure you generate a new certificate.

You don't have to export , but is good to export under root directory Qvpn folder.

If you need help testing the Qvpn from various operating systems, you can give the Cisco Small Business Support Center a call @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

I have been testing the gateway tunnel between the rv042's and it is very slow ....I dont know if the internet connection has something to do with the vpn connection we have a t1 connection on both sides, is there any configuration i should change to improve the vpn speed...(for example we have usually pdf files of about 2 to 5 mb in the network hard drive and is taking about  2 to 3 minutes to open a file and then is very slow to browse it) i was reading about changing the MTU size of the router, i guess ill try to play around with it tonight...

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so I have been trying to get the maximum speed for transfering files from the network hard drive to a local computer in the other end of the vpn , this is what i found so far:

1.- If i transfer a file of 16.2 MB over the network with the MTU size set to Auto is taking about 2:20 minutes, if i change the MTU size in both routers to 1400 i get a difference of 10 seconds less, and im able to browse the network at a reasonable speed, i can open excel files quickly and word documents almost like if the file was locally, the pdf files are the ones still taking longer than normal network speed to open.

2.- I tried to use the Compress feature on the vpn setup but is actually taking longer to transfer files with this option activated ..the transfer of the 16.2 MB took around 2:35 minutes.

3.-Disabling NETBIOS Broadcast didnt make a difference in the speed.

I think im done with the gateway to gateway connection , now i will focus in the Quick Vpn connection, I also activated Aggressive Mode for future testings of the Quick Vpn software. Ill keep the updates.

adrianmty
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so i havnt been able to troubleshoot the quick vpn software, but I did some research and the best option for my company is to have the 4 different locations connected thru vpn tunnels, that way all users are going to be able to access the hard drive in the main location, without the hassle to be using quick vpn in every computer, this being said, i installed another vpn router rv042 in the third location, with the same configuration , i took off the aggressive mode because it was giving me issues with my internet connection, i only have one location left and ill put the summary of my configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: