cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 VPN and iPad

Beowulf222
Level 1
Level 1

Does someone have a working configuration to connect the iPad VPN-client (IPSEC) to the RV042?

18 Replies 18

alrivero81
Level 1
Level 1

I'd really love an answer to this also. Anybody got anything? or

maybe even the Cisco AnyConnect app?

thesocialtechie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Beowulf,

Someone on the Apple support boards was having a similar problem. This is the solution they came up with:

The key piece of software is a program called IPSecuritas from www.lobotomo.com. This has the same function as VPN Client, but includes a lot more options and settings.

IPSecuritas client settings are as follows:

General:
Mode of operation: Host to Network
Remote IPSec Device: router.company.com (note, this gives the "external" WAN IP address of my router, as hosted by DynDNS)
Remote Network: 192.168.2.0/24 (this is the numbering system of the LAN behind my RV042)
Local address: (Blank)
Exchange mode: Aggressive
Proposal check: Strict

Phase 1: 28800 sec, Mod 768 (1), DES, MD5

Phase 2: 28800 sec, Mod 768 (1), DES, HMAC MD5

ID/Auth:
Local Identifier: DN, user@company.com (I don't think this needs to be a valid e-mail address as long as it is the same on both devices)
Remote Identifier: (same)
Preshared secret:  (choose any password)
Options: IpSec DOI, SIT_IDENTITY_ONLY, MIP6, Initial Contact, DHCP Pass-through, Establish IKE Immediately, Auto Start are all checked.

Also, on the IPSecuritas Preferences menu, I have checked 'Replace DNS Settings on IPSec Activation' with our domain name and the internal IP address of our DNS, 192.168.2.134.

On my RV042 router, I have Tunnel 1 enabled as a Client to Gateway on WAN1. (This is with the latest firmware from July 2005, ver. 1.3.7.2)

Local Security Gateway Type is Dynamic IP + E-mail Addr. (USER FQDN) Authentication.

Email address: user @ company.com, matching the IPSecuritas setup on the Powerbook.

Local security type also matches the client settings: Subnet; 192.168.2.0; 255.255.255.0

Remote client is also Gateway Type Dynamic IP + E-mail Addr. (USER FQDN) Authentication and the same user@company.com.

Keying mode IKE with Preshared key.
Phase 1 DH Group: Group1, encryption DES, Authentication MD5, SA Lifetime 28800sec.  Perfect Forward Security-yes.

Phase 2: Group1, DES, MD5, 28800 sec.

Preshared Key: (your passsword, same as you chose in IPSecuritas)

Advanced: Aggressive mode is enabled and locked.  Dead Peer Detection 10 sec.  All else un-checked.

VPN Pass Through: All enabled.

VPN Client Access: Don't waste time with this; it is for the Linksys QuickVPN utility from Windows only.

This is working great. I have access to my whole internal subnet, all ports, with functioning internal DNS even though I didn't put it in Network configuration for my "Traveling" location on the PowerBook.

One thing I should note, after you set all your preferences and hit the Start IPSec button in IPSecuritas, it takes ten or fifteen seconds for the green check mark to replace the red X. Be patient. Check the System log and the IPSecuritas log to see if things are happening.

I assume this will also work for the other Linksys products in this line, the RV0041, RV082 and RV016.

I hope that helps!

Yours,

TST

alrivero81
Level 1
Level 1

Great Info!! but it doesn't apply to the iPad connecting to a RV042.

Les Gray
Level 1
Level 1

not yet, but if the router firmware is prior to 4.0.x,

then you can connect via the PPTP server

gmaendel1
Level 1
Level 1

I'd like to know if that's possible as well, anybody??

The latest RV042 firmware supports PPTP Server, which works with the PPTP Client on iOS.

is there a tech note that walks us noob's through the setup of the RV042?

The config steps on the RV042 side are:

1) Enable PPTP Server in VPN>PPTP Server.

2) Add username and password for each PPTP user.

3) Save the configuration and that's it.

does

not

work.

Consistent failure with every conceivable permutation. 

The iPwn will act like it is connecting.. then "VPN Connection   A connection could not be established to the PPP server...."

Ironically, the IPSec tab in the iPwn has a *Cisco logo*!!!  But the "Cisco" RV042 doesn't seem to support IPSec!

The release note of firmware 4.0.3.03-tm has the following issue included in the list of issues fixed.

PPTP clients on iPhone/iPad/Mac cannot connect to the PPTP Server on RV0xx V3.

Below are the settings that are supported for iOS 4.3.1:

RSA SecurID—Off

Encryption level—Auto

Send all traffic—On

Proxy setting—Off

thanks tekliu!

I updated my router to the latest firmware, now it works.

but I'm running into another problem,

I can connect to the VPN just fine over 3G, however when I try to access it from my home network it gives me an error that the PPP server isn't responding, my Mac Pro on the same network connects to the VPN just fine.

any idea's?

thanks in advance.

What iOS version do you have on your iPad? What home firewall/router are you using?

You might want to give the Support Center a call to troubleshoot the issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

I've got iOS 5.0.1 on the iPad.

I'm using a Netgear DSL Modem (DG834G) and a Meraki Cloud Controlled MR58 connected to the DSL Modem.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the iPad since a Mac Pro connects to the VPN just fine and the iPad get a "A connection could not be established to the PPP server" error.

captaincaptain
Level 1
Level 1

Well, it appears that the Cisco RV042 does NOT SUPPORT the *Cisco branded* IPSec VPN that iOS offers.  What???

The latest firmware (which removes telnet access that would have supposedly allowed us to enable IPSec) to the RV042, does at least enable the horribly buggy and insecure PPTP, but why would we want to keep using such a security risk?  Only a fool would run WEP or PPTP!  Any dedicated middle-school kid would have your entire network cracked during lunch.

Cisco, wherefore hast thou forsaken us?!?  This is incredibly frustrating.

Please correct me if by some miracle I am wrong, but I've beaten my head against the wall for weeks over this, and PPTP is the *only* VPN service I can get running on the RV042.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: