cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 VPN not reconnecting

tonyp
Level 1
Level 1

In common with some other reports, I've been having a problem with a keep-alive tunnel between a RV016 and a RV042 not reconnecting if the tunnel is interrupted (by the WAN connection going down).  In this event the only remedies are to manually connect the tunnel or to power cycle the routers.  The firmware is v4.2.1.02 on both routers.

I solved the problem by enabling keep-alive on the RV016 and disabling keep-alive on the RV042.  If I set it the other eay around (RV042 keep-alive and RV016 not) then it will not reconnect automatically.  Is there a keep-alive bug on the RV042? Here are the settings:

1. DPD is enabled on both sides.

2. Keep Alive enabled on only the RV016 side.

3. PFS enabled or disabled doesn't make a difference.

4. Aggressive mode is not used.

5. The RV042 is NAT'ed so NAT Traversal is enabled on both ends.

6. There is no tunnel backup.

I hope that helps someone, but I would still like to know what is wrong with the RV042 end?

6 Replies 6

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tony, thank you for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan I am part of the Small business Support community. You could check this information bellow:

Depending what kind of tunnel you are configuring, Go VPN>VPN Passthrough and enable:

* IPSec Passthrough

* PPTP Passthrough

* L2TP Passthrough

Go Firewall> Basic Settings and ensure to:

* Disable Block WAN Request

* Enable Remote Management

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Jonathan.  I had already enabled VPN pass-through and the other settings you mentioned.  The settings I detailed in my post are successful (which will hopefully help other folk), so I guess this is a bug report on the RV042. 

Cheers!

Tony

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I'd disable DPD on both sides and re-enable Keep-alive on the rv042 and see what happens.  When I was setting up a VPN between my rv016 and rv042, only a certain combination of settings actually worked and kept the tunnel up.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Hi Samir, it looks like we both had the same problem!  Sorry, I didn't make it clear that I had solved the problem with the settings in my original post.  I was just hoping the Cisco will fix the issue in the future.

Thanks!

Oops!  I didn't realize that was your solution/workaround.  I'm trying to remember, but I think I had to do the same thing on my setup.  Glad you got it working.

I apologize for all this inconvenience Tony, to add to Samir post, in this case you can try something, Delete all VPN settings in both sides, reconfigure the VPN following the advise from Samir, using different Encryption, Authentications, DH combinations, decrease or increase the MTU size (I recommend 1500), or use Gateway to gateway VPN you can follow this document http://www6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=4&app=search&vw=1&articleid=3294

If all these steps don´t resolve the problem, can you please reach out to our Small Business Support Center and open a Service Request to address this issue? One of our Engineers may be able to work with you and diagnose the root cause. You can find the appropriate contact information for SBSC in the below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

I hope you find this answer useful

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it”

Greetings, 
Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.
Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.