Views
Helpful
Replies

Rv042 wan2 connection problem

rohitgorasia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my I have an rv042 subnet 192.168.1.0 gateway 192.168.1.1

I also have a tg585v7 provided by my ISP. This has subnet 192.168.2.0 and gateway ip 192.168.2.1

When I connect the tg585 to wan1 with the rv042 set to obtain ip automatically and dual wan set to load balance. The summary page show a wan1 ip of 192.168.2.7 hence all is working correctly and I can ping external hosts.

If I then remove the cat 5 cable and plug it into wan2 with the same settings, I am unable to get an ip on the summary page (the wan 2 ip is displayed as 0.0.0.0) and I cannot ping external hosts.

I have trying changing the dual wan settings from load balance to smart backup using the primary as wan1 and as wan2. I have also tried to change from using the rv042 as a gateway to using it as a router.

I really cannot understand why the rv042 will not connect to anything Wan2.

Any advice would be appreciated.

9 Replies 9

josejack
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Rohit Gorasia,

It sounds like the Modem is leasing an IP address to the router, but saving the MAC address. It normally doesn't do that when the modem is acting as a router. Try powering down your modem for about 3-5 minutes, then power it on while connected to WAN 2 on the RV042 router. This will verify if WAN 2 is working at all on the router.

If it does not pull an IP address, check the system summary page and see if the port says connected or not. If t says not connected, then the port may be bad.

Hope this helps.

Hi Josejack,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried powering down the modem and repowering whilst connected to the rv042.

I still doesnt pull an IP but the system summary does show the port as connected.

Hello Rohit,

Are you able to get an IP address on WAN 2 if you put the router into smartlink backup, with the primary WAN as WAN 2?

Hi Joisejack,

Strangley no!

even with the primary wan as wan 2 the ip is still shown as 0.0.0.0

the only way to get an ip in there is to set it to be static.

Which I dont mind.

But this leads to a lot of dropped packets when in Load balance mode, and all packets dropped when set to primary WAN as WAN2.

I guess it never switches over to WAN 1 if it always has a vaild IP on WAN2 (when WAN2 is primary)

RG

Hello Rohit,

i don't see it clarified above, but are you using two different ISPs? Also, are you on the latest firmware version for the router?

Hi josejack,

The rv042 and tg585's all have the latest firmware.

both WAN ports use the same ISP.

But I cannot even get a correctly work setup on WAN1 to work on WAN2

Hello Rohit,

The Router's WAN port may be experiencing a few issues. Your dual WAN is only meant for two different ISPs. Make sure that if you  are using one cable modem to connect both WAN ports, then your ISP should be giving you more than one available public IP address. If you only have one IP address, then I can see why the issue exists. Also, when talking about WAN 2, Try to clone the MAC address of your PC, or WAN 1, onto WAN 2.

Hi josejack,

I have 1 ISP but 2 adsl connections and hence two modems with their own public ISP.

I cannot clone wan1s mac to wan2 since the must both be different. I have tried cloning the mac of my pc and of my tg585 modem, but this makes no difference.

I don't believe my ip require a specific mac address to allow the connection.

Hello Rohit,

It honestly sounds like the WAN 2 port may be defective. When in load balance mode, the reason for the dropped packets were probably because WAN 2 is not getting out or routing packets. do you know if your modem has some type of MAC Filter in it? Is it possible to bridge the modem so that the router is getting the public instead of the 192.168.2.x address?