cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G as a VPN client? Is this possible?

deepgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have RV042G dual WAN VPN router as a gateway in my small office. My ISP requires from me to connect through PPTP VPN to have access to the network. I've configured my router with static IP and every time I connect a laptop or desktop pc I need to connect to the VPN with the Windows VPN client. I want to skip this step and my router do this job for me. Is this possible and how to configure the router? Thanks

3 Replies 3

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Georgi,

Are you having to use PPTP to be able to get out to the internet or to just access network resources? If your ISP requires you to use PPTP to get out to the internet then there is a option for that for one of your internet connection type. I'm not sure if this option will work though for you since you have stated that you have set up the router for a static ip address to get out to the internet. If that is the case then no you cannot set up the RV042G as a VPN client.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

Yes, i need to get out to the Internet through the VPN PPTP connection and my ISP gave me a static IP address.

Hello Georgi,

You may want to check out the admin guide then and go to page 31.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv0xx/administration/guide/rv0xx_AG_78-19576.pdf

I've never had to set up PPTP internet connection type before so not sure what steps need to be done before. Here is a quote from the admin guide about it

"PPTP (Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol): Choose this option if

required by your ISP. PPTP is a service used in Europe, Israel, and other

countries. "

So it looks like the option is there but just not sure what steps you need to do to set it up.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: