Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G DNS stops after few hours

florin2013
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem with the RV042G V01 router manufactured 12/2012.

After router settings the router works fine without any problems. After 10 or 12 hours I got the message that the side could not be opened, while no DNS.

I checked inside the router and all settings looks ok DNS adresses from ISP are present on both WAN settings . When I use inside the router the funktion for DNS it will work but from any client is does not work. When I restart the router alls works fine. After few hours ( it's differnt 1,2 or 6 ) I have the same problem. No entry in the log's !

Has anyone an idea what could be the reason ? ( settings, firmware, hardware )

Thanks,

Best Regards

Arno

10 Replies 10

jonatrod
Level 7
Level 7

Good morning

Hi Arno, thanks for using our forum, my name is Johnnatan and I am part of the Small business Support community. You could assign statically the DNS address on both WAN, if this doesn´t resolve your problem you may do a factory reset to your device. I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it*

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Jonathan,

I have two WAN lines from the same ISP, and on both WAN I have the same DNS (81.173.194.77) .

Also I made a factory reset, but it was not successful. It works fine for few hours and

than DNS stops. On the diagnostic page I can try for example www.google.de and it

works, but not outside from the router after reset it works and after few hours the same.

OK. I use here IP Range from 192.168.168.1 to 192.168.168.254 normaly with static IP

except from 192.168.168.90 to 192.168.168.99 I use DHCP.

Now I had done following : expand DHCP from .....168.2 - .....168.254 and set the IP adress

to the MAC address except the range 90 to 99 . This setting works.

I bought the router last friday and I'am not sure what is the cause ? Hardware ? Firmware ? Or I self ? 

I hope my description helps to find out whats happend !

Tanks a lot for your kindly Support

Best Regards

Arno Florin

Hi Arno,

Did you set the DNS statically in your router? You can set statically the LAN settings, however it doesn´t change the DNS, you can configure the DNS (81.173.194.77) manually in your router, you can also configure it in your computers manually, I am also curious with your firmware version ,ensure you are running the last version, the last Release is 4.2.1.02 and you can download it here

I hope you find this answer useful,

*Please mark the question as Answered or rate it so other users can benefit from it"

Greetings,

Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

“Please rate useful posts so other users can benefit from it” Greetings, Johnnatan Rodriguez Miranda. Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Jonathan,

my firmware is v4.2.1.02 ( Jan 18 2012 14:10:55 ) ! I think its the same as in your link.

I did not set the DNS statically in the router.

The router ip = 192.168.168.1 and I set in the computer 1. DNS = 192.168.168.1 it will work

for few hours and than to router stop forwarding. When I set 81.173.194.77 in the 2. DNS

then it works ( without restart ).

I can not find the cause why the router will stop after fwe hours ? I don't know, how many other

users has the same problem ?

May be it is a fault by DNS forwarding ( buffer, memory ) or somethin else !

Best Regards

Arno Florin

I have seen this exact same problem on the rv016.  I'm not sure of the root cause of it, but I suspect it is a high number of packets coming from the ISP.  I was getting 100 packets/second.  Check your status screen and refresh it and watch how many packets you're getting.  If it's a lot, try removing one ISP and see if the number of uptime hours goes up.  If so, then I strongly believe it's the packet filtering that's causing a memory leak or something in the router's software.

I just got used to rebooting mine every 12hrs.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I had used different settings, but I got allways different trouble. In my case sometime I could not use IPSEC, it works for two hours then no function, the same with DNS, then after 10 hours the router stops work total. For more tests I had no time, this mean, that I can send back the Router after within 14 days. I had sended back the router, where I had got.

Thanks for your answer, I believe, that somethin is wrong in the software. Reboot will works, but I think this is not a solution for this issue

Best Regards

Arno Florin

I have the same problem with the latest firmware v4.2.3.08.
I now have set up fixed DNS's for the WAN, and in the DHCP I set Use DNS Proxy.
I use the router also for local dns adresses.

At the moment the DNS does not respond, I checked from Windows with nslookup, which timeouts after 2 seconds.
The only way to restart the DNS-service is restarting the router.

I did not have this problem in the beginning, with older firmware.

If this is happening in the newest firmware and you did not upgrade to the latest firmware to fix something else, I would revert back to the older firmware that worked. 

You can't look at firmware releases as being sequential on routers in this price range because one release usually breaks something while fixing something else.  Treat firmwares as 'feature sets' and pick the one that works for you and stick to it until you need to change.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

This is probably too late for you, but I figured out how to get my rv016 to reboot on a regular schedule.  Now, I don't worry anymore.

rtomasek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I had same problem. I have read this thread more times and did not found here solution. The answers are confusing.

Solution is on DHCP page. The default setting is "Use DNS proxy", but there is not any address. At the moment I set "Use DNS from my ISP" DHCP provided DNS addresses from WAN setting to the client and all is working....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: