cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G Dynamic DNS - Free Services?

alextayhw
Level 1
Level 1

As of next week, DynDNS.org will no longer be a free service. The only other service "3322.org" was never an option in the first place as they do not allow anyone outside China to even register. This basically means that there are no more free DDNS options available on the RV042G router. It is quite annoying to be held ransom this way. 

Apart from the customer-service's absolutely 'helpful' suggestion of subscribing to a fix IP internet connection or to subscribe to the DDNS service, is there just not a single way of adding in another free DDNS service provider?  

The customer service also mentioned that since the 2 providers are no longer available as free service, they are considering removing the DDNS feature. Personally I don't find that at all acceptable. 

Does anyone have any idea how we can go about adding in our own DDNS? Given that so many routers on the market can do so, I really doubt it should be that challenging. 

1 Reply 1

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Unfortunately DynDNS has decided to stop giving away free accounts.  I have had a few people ask about this and it doesn't look like any new providers will be added to this router.

I do know that some of the other dynamic DNS providers like noip offer a PC-based client that updates your WAN IP, that may be an alternative option.  

As for editing the RV042 to add in a new provider, I haven't ever heard of anyone doing something like that.

Christopher Ebert - Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center