Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G local DNS database

dannimca1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RV042G router ( latest firmware ) for which I have enabled DHCP and also added a few records to local DNS database.

When I ping a computer using it's IP I get responses, but if I ping the computer after it's name recorded in DNS database I do no get any responses.

What I have found is that if the record from local DNS database is something like this "pc.cisco" then I get responses at ping, but if I remove ".cisco" I do not get any rsponses.

Can you please tell me from where is coming this ".cisco". I need to add a record without ".cisco" and which to work ( to answer to ping ).

Thank you

1 Reply 1

mavengroup
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately you will get no help from Cisco here.....

Here is something I would try with your RV042G if you are running the latest firmware.

• Select DHCP on the left.
  • Scroll down to DNS in this section (in the main window)
  • Use the DNS Server drop-down to select USE DNS from ISP
  • Make sure 0.0.0.0 is in both static DNS fields.

User you WAN connection settings in the DNS section use Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) or some other provider and input the IP in the DNS Server (required) section.

This should take care of the issue (assuming you are not running a server with DNS services set that is also involved here).

Let us know!

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: