Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G protocol binding for Exchange server

Athena1390
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have 2 WAN lines : DHCP IP on WAN1 and fixed IP on WAN2.
I have an internal Exchange 2013 server, on local IP 10.0.0.63.

Firmware of RV042G is v4.2.3.03

When the RV042 is configured on Smart Link (primary WAN : WAN2) : I can connect Outlook 2013 via MAPI over HTTP without any problem.

But, when using Load-Balance mode , with protocol binding (ports 443 & 80 : 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.254 WAN2 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0), I'm unable to connect.
Exchange Connectivity Analyser shows that port 443 is open, but he cannot obtain the SSL certificate.

Do you have any idea to solve this issue ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 Replies 5

Michael Swenson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

The protocol binding rule appears correct.

When in load balancing, check to make sure the remote client is using WAN2's static IP address to access the exchange server.

It will not working if he is coming in on WAN1 and then the server is replying on WAN2.

Regards,

MIke

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the answer.

WAN1 has a dynamic IP, WAN2 is the only one having fixed IP and DNS name.

Therefore, WAN1 is never used for incoming connections.

Thanks for the update

If you temporarily disconnect WAN1 and test what are the results.

I am assuming you have port forwards for the exchange server port to the IP of the server. correct?

Also, a packet capture from the WAN side may be needed,

Mike

Hi Michael,

Yes, when WAN1 is disconnected (and load-balancing configured), everything works fine.

Yes, UPnP is configured to redirect HTTPS(443) to 10.0.0.63 (Exchange server).

How can I capture a packet from the WAN ?

Hello,

To get a packet capture of the WAN port you would need a managed switch that can mirror ports.  The managed switch would be placed between the modem and the RV042G.  Next you would mirror the port that the modem connects to the switch.  On the port mirror you would have a PC running Wireshark to capture. Finally, repeat the steps for the 2nd WAN.

You could, also, run Wireshark on the exchange server and capture the traffic entering the server.  This would help to determine what is and is not entering the server.  However, the Wan captures would be most helpful.

Best Regards,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: