cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G Random Resets

mavengroup
Level 1
Level 1

I am hoping someone might be able to provide some insight or post back that they are having similar issues with the RV042G.

We have about 30-35 of these units deployed at small offices supplying networking services (DHCP, VPN, etc.).  All have different configurations (some no VPN, some 7-8 VPN connections, different carriers for Internet connectivity, etc.) so I am unable to find or pinpoint a common cause of my issue. The network size does not seem to be an issue either as it has happened on both small and larger workgroups.

The problem I am having is at over the past 2-3 months I have had about 7 of these units randomly reset to the defaults.  At that point I need to log into the device and set it backup.  While not a huge deal if the device is local, my last 3 hour drive has me thinking I need to pull these things and move to something else.

All of the devices are plugged into battery backup.  All devices that have failed are running the latest v4.2.3.03 firmware.

Cisco support has not been able to suggest any recommendations at this time as the reboot erases all logs.  They are asking me to setup some syslog servers (which I am willing to do) but the problem is I have no idea where (or even if) this will happen again (so which routers do I set this up on).

Any thoughts or ideas on to cause or possible fix? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

I appreciate your time as I know its value.

John

11 Replies 11

Hi,

we have the same problem with RV042G (reset on factory defaults).

I am going to sent the router back, while we have still warranty on it.

Best regards,

Goetz Hartwig, ITUC GmbH

Goetz,

I appreciate the reply.  I would be curious to know if once you get the replacement the issue goes away.  I wonder if I just got a bad batch (a few units) of product while we were deploying (over the span of about a year - we did not purchase all the units at the same time or from the same supplier).

John

Hi John,

we also have different suppliers. Replacement could last about 4 or 5 weeks.

If the problem is solved, I'll post again.

The serialnumber of our device is: NKS17505851

Perhaps you have routers with similar SN ?

Best regards,

Goetz Hartwig, ITUC GmbH

Goetz,

That is an interesting thought.  I will do some looking into the SN of the devices that have reset and post back.  Thanks for your time on this.

Hi John,

I looked up the downloaded and installed firmware-version of our router with reset-problem:

RV0XX-v4.2.3.03-20140319-code.bin

Best regards,

Goetz Hartwig, ITUC GmbH

By chance I had a unit fail yesterday (10-28-2014).  The SN of that unit is: NKS18031716.

This one is a little different than the others in that I could not simply reprogram it - I had to replace it.  I did not have time to troubleshoot it while I was on-site so I will dig into it at my office when I have time and report back.  

This unit and all others that have spontaneously reset were running the v4.2.3.03 firmware.

The last 4 units that auto reset had the following SN's:

NKS17381307, NKS17381304, NKS18031711, NKS18031717

Update [10-29-2014]:  I am also working with a Cisco Engineer on this and have directed him to this thread as well.  Hopefully he will post here with ideas as well.

Thanks.

John

Hi,

today Cisco took back our RV042G.

We get our money back, I think I know why...

Best regards,

Goetz Hartwig, ITUC GmbH

Hi Goetz,

I sense your frustration... as well as my own.

I wish there was Cisco feedback on this forum as well.

I appreciate your help and communication.

I am sticking with the RV042G now until I can find something in its price range with the features to replace it.  Luckily I have not had a reset in the last 12 days... fingers crossed.

Good Luck to you.

Hi John,

yes, I am pretty disappointed about the poor quality of this product.

I mean: It's a Cisco ! We have two RV042G left, but I'll sent them back, too.

There are several other problems with this routers:

"QuickVPN and RV042 not verifying network" (in this supportforum), I have the same problem. Also one of the RV042G looses webconnection every day at the same time for 10 minutes. Without webconnection there is no timeserver available and systemtime goes to defaults in RV042G logfile...

I take into consideration to buy Bintec VPN-Routers like the bintec RS123.

Best regards,

Goetz Hartwig, ITUC GmbH

Thanks for the feedback.  I will have to checkout the bintec RS123.  I wonder if I can find a US distributor?

Hi John,

I think you can try here:

TELDAT USA

———————————————————

Silicon Valley Offices:
901 Campisi Way, Suite 245
Campbell, CA 95008
Tel.: +1 (408) 892-9363
Fax: +1 (408) 300-9375

teldatUSA@teldat.com

———————————————————

Security Products, Warehouse & RMAs:

Nicholas Martello

8601 Emerald Valley Circle,

Chesterfield, VA 23832.

Tel.: +1 (804) 739-7487
Cell: +1 (860) 754-7390

nick@martelloconsulting.com

www.martelloconsulting.com

;-)

Best regards,

Goetz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: