Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G Router - Inter VLAN

hfrohr001
Level 1
Level 1

RV042G Router - Inter VLAN:

Does this router supports 802.1Q? Or should I connect one router port per VLAN?

eg. If I have 2 VLAN configured on ONE SWITCH, Do I:

a) TRUNK the VLAN on SWITCH and connect ONE port to the ROUTER?

b) connect ONE port on ROUTER to VLAN1, and another port to VLAN2?

Thanks,

Henrique

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Henrique,

The RV042G does not support 802.1Q Trunking, so you would need one connection per VLAN.

Depending on the switch you may need to disable spanning tree as well to make the multiple connections to the same router work.

Hope that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

Hello Henrique,

I don't usually deal with sales or pricing, so I'm honestly not sure which routers are low priced.  However, all of the RVs except for the RV016, RV042, and RV082 support VLAN trunking, so I would just compare the other models and see what kind of a deal you can get.  I usually recommend the RV180 (which is being replaced by the RV130 soon) or maybe the RV320 if you want the newest one.

With your SG200 you will probably need to disable spanning tree on the uplinks to your RV042 for the multiple links to work, but a quick check of the Spanning Tree, RTP Interface status page on the SG will let you know if those links are being taken down.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Henrique,

The RV042G does not support 802.1Q Trunking, so you would need one connection per VLAN.

Depending on the switch you may need to disable spanning tree as well to make the multiple connections to the same router work.

Hope that helps,

*please rate helpful posts*

Hi Chrebert, 

Thanks for the reply. We plan to use the following SWITCH SG200-50. 

By the way, from CISCO, what should be the selected router (low budget) to be used on this scenario (802.1Q)? 

Cheers,

Henrique

Hello Henrique,

I don't usually deal with sales or pricing, so I'm honestly not sure which routers are low priced.  However, all of the RVs except for the RV016, RV042, and RV082 support VLAN trunking, so I would just compare the other models and see what kind of a deal you can get.  I usually recommend the RV180 (which is being replaced by the RV130 soon) or maybe the RV320 if you want the newest one.

With your SG200 you will probably need to disable spanning tree on the uplinks to your RV042 for the multiple links to work, but a quick check of the Spanning Tree, RTP Interface status page on the SG will let you know if those links are being taken down.

Thank you for choosing Cisco,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: