cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G services fail after power failure

Ryan Hendriks
Level 1
Level 1

Today the power was fallen out in our area and the rv042g was turned off.

After the power was back I was checking the router because some trafic didn't came through.

Then I saw that all the services were messed up and also all the firewall rules were wrong.

the lines were still there but it all was setup as [all 0-0]

After trying to restore a backup it gave me the same, even after resetting the router with the reset button for 30 seconds and doing a restore it didn't work.

So I had to reconfigure the router from scratch.

This services thing gives me a real pain in the ass because in a previous topic I also have mentioned that something is wrong with the services.

I hope someone will take a look at this.

6 Replies 6

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ryan,

Depending on the severity of the power outage, this can cause a lot of strange or damaging problems. If there is a power spike or a drop in power low enough, I have seen devices lose entire configuration and even in a worse scenario completely corrupt flash.

In a scenario where a device receives too little power, certain functions don't work, such as DHCP may stop working as an example. Or, if a device receives too much power, it can cause damage to the hardware components are cause unpredictable interruptions that may interfere with write processes.

During the hurricane recently, I had a person call in who had a switch, they lost power, it was severe enough the switch couldn't recognize its own serial number, mac address or hardware ID. It had to be manually written in there before we could load the flash (with the terribly long xmodem process!).

The best I could recommend is to ensure you have a solid power source but also redundant power equipment such as an APC UPS.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I have a APC UPS in front of the router model CS500 so this can't be the issue.

Why is everyone ignoring my remark that there is something wrong with the firmware of these units?

Why don't the engineers dig out this or review the firmware, and take a good look at the services.

All the other settings were intact, all fine, even all the dhcp settings and VPN gateways.

Only the services were corrupt and as I mentioned before in previous topics there is a thing going on with it.

regards,

Ryan

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I can assure you, no one is disregarding what you are saying. However this is the only report of issues with services and power that I have been made aware of. In order to do any troubleshooting with a case like this. It is best to have you call in and get all of the information logged into a case. Please contact you local support center and let's get this rolling. If in the US, you can call 1-866-606-1866 and answering agent will start working with you.

Cisco Small Business Support contacts: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Hendriks,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with our products.

If you have the last firmware installed and these problems persist, and beside you said that the reset button is not working properly. I would recommend you to open a case with our Support center, and we will be more that happy to assist you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

Ryan Hendriks
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I will have to call the center in Belgium tomorrow.
But tell me what to do if they ask me to ship it to them? Do I first get a replacement unit or do I have to search for a solution myself?
I hope you can imagine that it is not evident to have no internet/router in my network.

Regards,
Ryan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hello Mr. Hendriks,

I am not familiarized with the process of shipping but as far as I understand, they first try to help you with some troubleshooting process in order to correct the issue, and if is needed they will help you with the process. So, May sure you have the device with you when you call.

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: