Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042G WAN Bandwidth has only 100Mps?

icemanhk73
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I just got the RV042G today.  I found the router can only accept 100000 Kbit/sec as bandwith, which is 100Mps only.  According to the specification, it should have 1000Mps WAN.  I have a internet link of 1000Mps, which is now limited by this router.  Any idea if there is something wrong?

Thanks.

Best

Wen-Li Huang

105 Replies 105

For anyone with this router, there is a new firmware out...

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414010&softwareid=282465789&release=4.2.2.08      

Regards Simon

The firmware release notes didn't mention anything about the speed issue or allowing 1000000 in the field for bandwidth control.  But I've seen a lot of fixes go undocumented (just like the bugs).   

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

williamlau927
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco just confirmed with me the performance issue is found on HTTP protocol.  They will release firmware to fix it, but can't confirm the release date yet.

Basically, it's pretty surprise to me that they took more than 1.5 month to struggle with the problem (use webbax to talk to me, observe problem.... try to reproduce the problem in their lab....).  But, any way, that's good to know they found the root cause now.

Hi William,

Our developer has fixed this issue, you will get the firmware soon.

Hi I have the same problem with this expensive router.... I did updated the firmware to tne newest and only the numbers went up in the configuration screen but the bandwith reflected the same 120Mbps downlink and 100Mbps uplink..

I had plug a very cheap D-Link 857 and it is going to 200Mbps down and up link... Will this be fixed? or shall I trash it and change of brand?

Net I choose Cisco since I used to recomend it as good brand for companies and personal use but this is now not reflecting that. I may stop recommending Cisco looking now that this issue has 1year old it does not really reflect Cisco is really top of the line products anymore...

So tell me will you fix it in the next 30 days?

I made additional testings, I disable all firewall all stuff, and I got a max of 150Mbps and 120Mbps down and up links respectivelly, even that it mentions that the connection is 1000Mbps at "cable" it is not really using it... It looks like the device is not really able to manage a badwidth on this scale...

Hi Edgar,

We have fixed it last month, but latest official release v4.2.2.08 (posted on Jun 7) doesn't include it, next official release will not be posted in a short time.

Please contact SBSC, you will get a solution.

Thank you, I got a beta firmware and now the router is working as expected, my links are now working at 250mbps and 200mbs, primary and backup respectively and both symmetric speeds (upload and download).

Since I don't have higher speed links I cannot tell what the limits are, but it works for me now.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

adidasbb1
Level 1
Level 1

Very frustrated, I have the same problem as Mr Wen LI Huang one year ago.

I bought the RV042G two weeks ago. I already update the firmware to v4.2.2.08 (Apr 26 2013 19:12:26)

Internet speed test results are the same all the time (by www.speedtest.net and www.myspeedmeter.net)

Down : 120Mbps

Up: 100Mbps

No matter how to adjust the router parameters, it shows the same result.

I have 1000Mbps fiber broadband network and all my cables are AMP cat6 patch cable. My ISP can show to me they can provide up to 700Mbps internet connection by iperf (direct connect to my PC without use the RV042G)

Finally, I have to call the CISCO Hong Kong telephone support tomorrow.

I wish I learnt about this problem before I purchased the RV042G.

I encountered the same problem. The RV042G maxes out at about 130Mbps+ with firewall off. A direct connection to my ISP gives a speed of about 800Mbps+.

Cisco, please fix this soon!

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

As my colleague above (Li Zhu) said above, this has been addressed in a firmware update. While it is not currently available for public download, please call in and open a support ticket. From there we can see about trying to get this update to you.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

So how does a member of the public in the UK get hold of the firmware? Looking at the support page it seems you need to be part of a business to rasie a ticket.

I've sent you a pm Jonathan

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org

Regards Simon

Cheerz Simon back to full speed now.

Aaah ran into a snag

Having dual wan it seems that for ftp the rules for routing traffic via one wan isn't working properly and traffic is getting split across wan's. End result isp see's a scanning atatck and blocked my web access to my site.

I disabled and re-enabled the rule but traffic still seemed to getting split.

I flashed back to the old firmware and checking the ftp connections which kept on growing with the new firmware stayed constant so everything seems fine again.

Okay fixed the problem by routing all traffic down one wan and not having a special rule for ftp only. Don't know why the new firmware had problems with the orginal rule set but at least it's fixed now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: