cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 access resources on RV016

GrootLives
Level 1
Level 1

I know this *should* be simple but having a devil of a time getting it to work.

I have 2 routers. Both have a static ip. Each is setup for a different private subnet. At the moment they are not connected to each other. Consider this setup (made up numbers obviously):

RV016

has 13 lan ports, 2 internet ports, 1 dmz port

Internet port: 10.10.10.10

Lan: 192.168.1.x

Printer at 192.168.1.10

RV082

has 8 lan ports, 1 internet port, 1 dmz/internet port

Internet port: 20.20.20.20

Lan: 192.168.2.x

I'd like clients on the rv082 lan to be able to access the printer on the rv016 lan, and use the rv016 as an alternate internet connection (optional). I would prefer the rv016 client not be able to access the rv082.

Ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marco.senft
Level 1
Level 1

This can be done easily with a VPN tunnel between the RVs, especially since both are on static public IPs.

Create a new "Gateway to Gateway" tunnel, use the "Local Group Setup" settings of one router as "Remote Group Setup" on the other and vice versa. The settings under "IPsec Setup" must be the same on both routers. As soon as the tunnel is connected, you should be able to access the printer as well as all other devices from both networks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marco.senft
Level 1
Level 1

This can be done easily with a VPN tunnel between the RVs, especially since both are on static public IPs.

Create a new "Gateway to Gateway" tunnel, use the "Local Group Setup" settings of one router as "Remote Group Setup" on the other and vice versa. The settings under "IPsec Setup" must be the same on both routers. As soon as the tunnel is connected, you should be able to access the printer as well as all other devices from both networks.

I was hoping for something simplier? where the second device is just another client on the first but I'll be damned if I can get that to work.

I'll do the vpn then.

Well it may sound complicated at first, but if you have done it a couple of time you get used to it

The good thing is that such VPNs can run rock solid for long periods of time, as long as you don't mess up the config.