Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 and subnetting

mikavoid30
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Before I have to say that I'm french, so, I'm sorry if I make some language mistakes.

I have juste a question about subnetting, I wonder if the Cisco RV082 is able to work with 4 subnets (/26). In each of these subnets, there's approximatively 20-30 machines sharing some files.

I just want to know if I can buy this router for my network configuration.

I attach my cisco packet tracer file here, I hope you'll can help me.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I know there is an option for multiple subnets on my rv016 v3 firmware, so I'm assuming there would be for the rv082 as well.  Just be sure it's a recent firmware.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I know there is an option for multiple subnets on my rv016 v3 firmware, so I'm assuming there would be for the rv082 as well.  Just be sure it's a recent firmware.

Ok thank you very much =)

Hi Mickael,

The Admin guide sais: Typically, a Cisco RV0xx Series router is used as an access router, with a single LAN subnet. By default, the firewall is pre-configured to deny LAN access if the source IP address is on a different subnet than the router’s LAN IP address. However, you can enable multiple subnets to allow this router to work as an edge device that provides Internet connectivity to different subnets in your LAN

This means that you can configure multiple subnets on RV082, and thus the router will provide them access to i-net, but you cannot configure the router to be the DHCP server for those VLANs, or interVLAN routing.

Best Regards,

Kremena

Thank you,

So I can use my  four subnets but I can't use the DHCP.

This is not an issue, all the machines will be on static addresses. I just need DHCP for the wireless connections, but the cisco access point wifi can do that, right ?

Hi,

The Small Business access points does not have as funciton DHCP server. You need to check the specification of your model device to be sure.

Best Regards,

Kremena

Oh ok, I always thought there was a DHCP serveur on these access points.

So I think, the only (best) solution is to buy a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router and connect it on my RV082..

You can also check your access point. Most of them have the option "Isolation within SSID". This option is to isolate the users connected to a specific SSID to be able to access only i-net and not any LAN device. In such case you do not need VLANs - all users can be in the same subnet

Regards,

Kremena