Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 and Windows 7 - no internet connection with Firewall enabled

kevin.spittle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have an RV082 firmware 1.3.98-tm and have recently upgrade several Machines to Windows & RC for testing but they cannot access the internet.

They can access all other internal mahcines but can not ping the router.  The first Pc I upgraded was fine and accessed the internet without a problem.

The Second started Ok but then lost internet connection.  It can access all internal machines and if I reboot it with XP (dual boot) it works fine.  it has been an operational machine with no netowrk problems for 2 or 3 years.  I tried a diffetrn nic card and a different Cable froma differnt wall point in case there was a problem that XP was able to cicumvent and Windows 7 was more fussy.

Now the second PC has started doing the same thing and wont connect to the internet.

If I turn off the firewall on the RV082 then the Windows 7 PCs connect fine.  I can wathc the system tray icon on the PCs change status simply by chagnign the firewall status on the router.

Occasioanlly one PC will keep working for a short period before losing the internet again or having it blocked.  I checkled the logs and ther are no entries in the standard logs.

I have bypassed Vista so ther emay be a setting or something that I need to change on the window smachines, but as I have Windows 7 on test in alocal council withotu a problem adn both my lapotps and have connected through various Internet cafes etc even in Spain and brasil without problem I am inclined to think it is a problem with the RV082.

Any ideas would be helpful?

Thanks

Kevin

The full specs are as follows I have tried toi include all information even though some maybe irrelevant1:

No virus scanners on PCs yet!!

IBM PC with 4 gb RAM, pnetium 3.06, 80gb hdd 2 partitions Dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7 Static Ip (but teste with DHCP as well) 10.1.2.13 - 2 nics - Internal REaltek 10/100 (disabled) + 3com 3cT1000

Ip 10.1.2.13 sub 255.255.255.0 gateway 10.1.2.1 dns 222.222.222.14

Dell GX520 with 1gb RAM 80gb Hdd fresh install Windows 7 dhcp

RV082 LAN 10.1.2.1 sub 255.255.255 issuing DHCP. In theory irrelevant but there are 3 VPN tunnels to 10.1.3.0, 10.1.4.0 and 10.1.5.0 networks

WAN1 222.222.222.11 sub 255.255.255.248 gw 222.222.222.14 dns 222.222.222.14

WAN2 disabled/empty

Loads of App forwarding for Avaya Phone System, RDP, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, TFTP,  SMTP, POP3, Netware etc etc etc

ip 222.222.222.14 is a 3com office connect ADSL router

LAN 222.222.222.14 sub 255.255.255.248

WAN ADSL DHCP from BT

222.222.222 ip addresses have been changed for security!

This set up has been in use for 2 or 3 years without problems

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kevin,

To clarify, as we havent heard of this I dont think (I am inquiring as well), did this start happening when you upgraded the PCs?

Its sounds like it from what I read and also that you can instigate this by enabling and disabling the FW on demand, but this didnt happen before you changed the PC SW?

If that is the case, then it sounds like soemthing the PC SW is doing and maybe you can put a wireshark trace up and try to sniff whats going on when the PC attempts to access the internet.   I am not asking for the trace to review, only that it may help you.    If you feel like this is a Cisco product defect, you can open a case with the Small Business Support Center and they will look at the trace with you.

Steve DiStefano

SE

US Field Channel Sales

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kevin,

To clarify, as we havent heard of this I dont think (I am inquiring as well), did this start happening when you upgraded the PCs?

Its sounds like it from what I read and also that you can instigate this by enabling and disabling the FW on demand, but this didnt happen before you changed the PC SW?

If that is the case, then it sounds like soemthing the PC SW is doing and maybe you can put a wireshark trace up and try to sniff whats going on when the PC attempts to access the internet.   I am not asking for the trace to review, only that it may help you.    If you feel like this is a Cisco product defect, you can open a case with the Small Business Support Center and they will look at the trace with you.

Steve DiStefano

SE

US Field Channel Sales

Hi

Thanks, but in fact we had a cabling problem that XP doesnt detect but windows 7 does!

Our set up is as follows:

internet - 3com adsl connect router static ip + 3com 1gb 8 port switch (same ip range)

then 5 static ips from this

1 static ip to rv08

1 static ip to ip kvm switch

1 static ip to webserver

+ 1 or two other bits

what had happened is that the 3 com adsl rotuer was cabled to rv08 and 3com 1gb switch was also cabled to the rv08.

Xp igonres this and goes off to the internet but windows 7 gets in a mess and decides it can't get to the internet.

Anyway simply removing this duplicate cable solved the problem.

I only found it by mistake as our voip was not working correctly - every 30/40 seconds the internal caller could not be heard by the external voip for around 10 seconds and then the call would resume fine.  This had been going on for a couple of months and I finally decided to inestigate thoroughly and found this duplicate cabling, which solved both problems.

Thanks for your suggestion

Kind regards

Kevin

So it appears that RV082 with dual wan ports connected to the same subnet will cause Win7 losing internet connection? Which mode is the RV082 running with, smartlink backup or load balance?

Hi

My sincere apologies, but I did not actually explain properly.

I am using single WAN port, but had both the WAN port connected to the 3com correctly  and also had a LAN port connected to the same 3com.

Obviously this was not intentional and I am not sure who or how it happened, I have now colour coded my patch cables so that it shoudl not happen again!

Kind regards

Kevin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: