Views
Helpful
Replies

Rv082 fw 4.2.2.08 VPN backup not working

Catalin Burla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have multiple RV082 v3 units running fw 4.1.1.01 and 4.2.1.02 for 1-2 years without major problems.

I put new FW 4.2.2.08 on one unit (big luck only one , you will se why) and I noticed that VPN tunnels does not permit traffic when using backup IP - at the other end of VPN tunnels (96 per RV082)  I am using a RV042G unit with fw 4.1.1.01 or 4.2.1.02. Each unit  has 2 different ISP, so I am using Primary IP and Backup IP . When remote unit lost main ISP , VPN tunnel show connected using BACKUP IP but no traffic allowed. Sometime if I EDIT tunnel on RV082  and save with no change traffic is allowed ,but only sometimes.

So I have to get back to 4.2.1.02 on RV082 and here comes the ugly thing: unit got factory default after fw update (automatically, no info about) and configuration saved from unit running fw 4.2.2.08 couldn't be restored (no info, just browser reset to login and no changes ) and i had to input all 96 tunnels again .

Anybody noticed this behavior?

7 Replies 7

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Sir, personally this is the first I have seen of this particular issue.

First you should be able to get the 4.2.1.02 from here:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414011&flowid=785&softwareid=282465789

I hope that helps. Next I would try getting a copy of the config from another router using the 96 vpn tunnels and then populate it. But there would still be some modification to be done but at least not from scratch.

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

Wireless Subject Matter Expert

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

Hi.

I already downgraded to 4.2.1.02 and reconfigure it from scratch , it's easier than modifying 96 tunnels.

Main question is if somebody will investigate this issue in firmware 4.2.2.08 and fix it for further release.

Best regards

Catalin,

Please open a case with support so that the issue can be confirmed and documented. If it is a bug the development team will be notified.

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

Any particular reason you need to upgrade the firmware?  If not, leave it alone.  Each firmware is like its own 'feature set' (read this as 'bugs'), so keep the 'feature set' that works for you.  I treat firmwares like this and haven't had a problem that I couldn't work around.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Reason to upgrade firmware : to get rid of previous bug, hopping that new fw is bug-free.

Previous bug : when one interface fail (link fail or service fail) after service resume in 75% of cases VPN tunnels show connected but no traffic. Log into unit, VPN, press Disconnect and magic, VPN tunnel work.

I will be happiest men on Earth when a fw will resolve this.

Since this is a basic function that should have been well tested in the shipping firmware, have you tried to downgrade the firmware?  If it fixes your problem, I don't think you'll care what version it's on, lol.

Another solution is to script a reboot of these in downtime if possible.  I do this daily for my rv016s.  I can share the script if you want to pm me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: