cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 / Protocol Binding - VoIP Traffic

orders
Level 1
Level 1

I have a mid-sized office complex with that is setup with a very basic network. Standard switches, patch panels, nothing special. It all comes to a Cisco RV082 router, which has 3 VPN tunnels, provides DHCP, and not much else. No port forwards, no firewall exceptions, no ACLs, nothing.

The office here has a mix of PCs and IP Phones on the same switches / cables (Yes, I know....working with what I got). Up until now they have had a 50d/10u cable connection for the building, and I have had QoS setup to make sure enough traffic is available for VoIP calls to our off-site Asterisk server.

I got sick of this, and convinced management to get us a separate line for VoIP, and we got a 10/10 fiber drop. We are keeping the 50/10 cable as well.

The RV082 router has Dual Wan functionality, either in 'Smart Link Backup' where one fails over to the other, or 'Load Balance', where it uses a weighted round robin system to spread the traffic around. In this same section of the router, it has options for 'Protocol Binding'. Here is the Cisco document outlining the whole process: http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/Login...1&articleid=622

Here is what I want to do: I want all SIP traffic to use WAN2 (Fiber), and all other traffic to use WAN1 (Cable). So far I have done nothing but give myself a headache, but according to Cisco's own documentation, this is exactly what this is supposed to be able to do.

Protocol Binding is a feature that is used to send specific traffic through a specific WAN interface. Any traffic that matches the type of traffic and is sent from the configured source IP addresses to the configured destination addresses, is sent through the configured WAN interface of the protocol binding rule. Protocol Binding is only available if the dual WAN mode is configured as load balance.

I originally through about having the top rule be IP based, to my Asterisk IP, with a 2nd catchall rule to all IPs, but that didn't seem to work. Then I thought about using protocols/ports instead of IPs, but I don't want stray traffic of any kind on the Fiber (WAN2).

What is my best approach here? Has anyone worked with this function of this router series before?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Hello Robert,

I will recommend you to check the firmware version installed on this device.Latest firmware version is 4.2.1.02. It is recommended to perform factory default after firmware upgrade. Then follow the above article to configure 'Protocol binding'. That should fix the issue.

If you still find the issue please do contact our chat support team @

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport

Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries.

Thanks and regards,

Siva

Can anyone be more specific on the configuration I should try in my situation?  Onviosuly I'm going to use "Load Balance" mode, and apply binding rules, but what should my rules be?

Rule 1     AllTCP/UDP 192.168.1.X -> (IP Address of PBX) -> WAN2

Rule 2     AllTCP/UDP 192.168.1.X -> 0.0.0.0 -> WAN1

That was my first attempted configuration, but it broke my VPNs.  I was thinking about doing something like....

Rule 1     UDP 5060-5064 0.0.0.0 -> 0.0.0.0 -> WAN2

Rule 2      AllTCP/UDP 0.0.0.0 -> 0.0.0.0 -> WAN1

This one I think would just have UDP traffic on those ports use WAN2, and everything else use WAN1, (like I said, using ports instead of IPs)

What is the proper way to do this?  I'm trying to avoid trial and error too many times.

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

I think you're on to it with the second set of rules, except I would add the IPs from the source subnet to the destination subnet in the rule.  This way, it's protocol based and IP based.  And I would have that as the only rule.  Don't worry about the other traffic at first and see what happens.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: